Oh Canada!

JimHow

Oh Canada!

Post by JimHow »

JeanFred

Re: Oh Canada!

Post by JeanFred »

We are in the rigth way but they wait to long to open the bordery, in my opnion.

I had to cancel my flight from Plattsburg and buy flight from Montréal to succeeds to came in Orlando

JeanFred
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Hallelujah! Our daughter and son-in-law who live in BC are having a baby at the end of August! I was afraid we wouldn't be able to visit and see the baby because we live in a $#!+ hole country.
jal

Post by jal »

Best

Jacques
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Yesterday, the USA extended to the August 22nd the interdiction for canadians to cross the border by car.

:x
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

This is pissing me off, Nicola, I’m going into the first of four successive murder trials in early September, the rest of 2021 and into 2022 is going to be a nightmare. We’ve got three months blocked off from December through February for the Alaska trial alone.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Unfortunately as it stands there are no commitments that the USA will actually open the border to land travel Aug 22 from Canada into USA...they have said they may extend the period of closure further. I don't get the country with the highest number of cases/deaths and % positivity continues to close their borders to their neighbours north and south. Sometimes things just don't make any rational sense.
Danny
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

You said it Danny. I realize the border is what’s causing the grief in this discussion, but that’s just the beginning. To paraphrase Mencken or Mayer or whoever: No one will ever go broke underestimating the dumbf**kery of the American people.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Wait a minute, Danny, I’ve been hearing you bitching for over a year about Trudeau and the anemic Canadian response to distribution of the vaccine. The US, on the other hand, as usual — at my tax dollar expense — has led the world in a scientific/medical breakthrough of mass production at warp speed. Canada just opened its border this week, the US is about a month behind. Fellow Canadian JeanFred is sunning in Florida with his family as we speak. How many vaccine doses has Oh Canada been distributing to other countries in need? Lots of countries, including Canada, have tightened their borders, both before and during the pandemic. I’m the first to point out the flaws in this country but I call BS on this one.
jal

Post by jal »

Well, there’s always air travel, land travel is a pain.
Best

Jacques
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I really miss Montreal and Quebec City, I really want to get up there. Unfortunately, starting September 1st, my schedule will be insanity plus for about six months.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Another curveball delivered today for border crossing. The Canadian government had planned to allow double vaccinated Americans cross by land into Canada starting Aug 9 so yes Jim you could have visited Montreal/Quebec City after this time however Biden maintains a closed border to Canadians entering the USA by land but not air...go figure the logic on that one!

Today a complication in that Canadian Border Services have voted to strike thereby effectively closing or severely slowing down crossing by land/air effective Aug 6 unless an agreement is reached before.

The Canadian Press
Canadian border workers vote in favour of striking as soon as Aug. 6: union

Tue, July 27, 2021, 11:00 AM
OTTAWA — A union representing about 9,000 Canadian Border Service Agency workers says its members have voted in favour of striking, jeopardizing the federal government's reopening plans.

The Public Service Alliance of Canada and its Customs and Immigration Union says its members may strike as soon asAug. 6, three days before fully vaccinated U.S. citizens will be able to visit Canada without having to quarantine for two weeks.

PSAC-CIU represents 5,500 border services officers, 2,000 headquarters staff and other workers at Canada Post facilities and in inland enforcement jobs.

The members employed by the CBSA and Treasury Board began holding strike votes in June, after they had been without a contract for nearly three years and talks broke off between the two sides in December.

The union and the employers have been unable to agree on better protections for staff that the union argues would bring them in line with other law enforcement personnel across Canada and address a "toxic" workplace culture.

The union warns that the ongoing labour dispute could cause a significant disruption to the flow of goods, services and people entering Canada because traffic at borders may be slowed while mail and the collection of duties will be impacted.

On top of allowing fully vaccinated U.S. citizens to visit Canada starting Aug. 9, the government also plans to open the country's borders to travellers from other countries who are fully vaccinated on Sept. 7.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published July 27, 2021.

The Canadian Press
Danny
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

So what other complications can we pile on top of all of this? I'm feeling increasingly glad we made the decision not to plan any international travel until 2022.