2019 Thivin Côte de Brouilly les 7 vignes

Nicklasss

2019 Thivin Côte de Brouilly les 7 vignes

Post by Nicklasss »

While i'm still trying to understand all the rules and trying to estimate when i will freely be able to go to the Great State of Maine (not an easy task), i'm happy that i can drink wine like this one.

Yes, only a Cru du Beaujolais from Gamay grape, but there are positive sides to it:

1. No consulting from either Rolland, de Bouärd or Cambie.
2. A fraction of the price of VCC or LLC or Chambertin.
3. A very distinctive wine, quality vine growing/winemaking with the same attention as the 3 estates at no 2...

The color is that nice direct red of village Gevrey Chambertin. Nose has dark violet flowers (like VCC), sappy darkred berries, ink, lavand, also some red berries and a very light touch of licorice. In mouth, it is like drinking a "four leaf clover" : you feel lucky. A very perfumed mouth, with a complex flavorful flowery grapey berries distictive touch. Long, granitic minerals and lilac and blackcurrants final (LLC has blackcurrants from attach to final). The structure and tanins are there but light to medium. The wine is dry. Drink easily at 14-15 Celsius, extremely charming. Balance is great. The only problem would be if you're allergic to flowers...
Attachments
Don't be snobbish with Beaujolais wines
Don't be snobbish with Beaujolais wines
Blanquito

Re: 2019 Thivin Côte de Brouilly les 7 vignes

Post by Blanquito »

Great note, Nic. One thing I love about Thivin are the earthy-umami notes mingled with fruit and flowers. Yum!
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Nicklasss wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:13 am While i'm still trying to understand all the rules and trying to estimate when i will freely be able to go to the Great State of Maine (not an easy task), i'm happy that i can drink wine like this one.

Yes, only a Cru du Beaujolais from Gamay grape, but there are positive sides to it:

1. No consulting from either Rolland, de Bouärd or Cambie.
2. A fraction of the price of VCC or LLC or Chambertin.
3. A very distinctive wine, quality vine growing/winemaking with the same attention as the 3 estates at no 2...

The color is that nice direct red of village Gevrey Chambertin. Nose has dark violet flowers (like VCC), sappy darkred berries, ink, lavand, also some red berries and a very light touch of licorice. In mouth, it is like drinking a "four leaf clover" : you feel lucky. A very perfumed mouth, with a complex flavorful flowery grapey berries distictive touch. Long, granitic minerals and lilac and blackcurrants final (LLC has blackcurrants from attach to final). The structure and tanins are there but light to medium. The wine is dry. Drink easily at 14-15 Celsius, extremely charming. Balance is great. The only problem would be if you're allergic to flowers...
This is truly an outstanding note. Love the detail, so nailed it!
stefan

Post by stefan »

With this note, you might start a Back to Beaujolais movement, Nic.

>>
A very distinctive wine, quality vine growing/winemaking with the same attention as the 3 estates at no 2.
>>

Excellent observation.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

What's the sweet spot in terms of age for drinking Thivin Cote de Brouilly?
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

This wine costs in vintage 2018 around 32-33 dollars in Denmark.

But the owners make additional 4-5 cuvées from which the wine merchant in Denmark recommended me to purchase La Chapelle, Godefroy and Zacharie cuvées. I may buy all four in one shot. They aren't that cheap but never mind.

I enjoyed Beaujolais wines from Duboeuf (Fleurie and Moulin A Vent and Brouilly) until 1998, and afterwards, I forgot all about them.

Maybe it's about time to refresh my tasting buds.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Racer Chris wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:26 pm What's the sweet spot in terms of age for drinking Thivin Cote de Brouilly?
Personally, I think Thivin is one of those rare birds that drinks well throughout its life. Vintage dependent, of course, but that's my long experience with this Domaine. It's one of my favorite producers in the world. This producer also seems to handle the riper vintages better than most. The 2015 is excellent, whereas I did not but many others in this vintage.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

greatbxfreak wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:29 pm This wine costs in vintage 2018 around 32-33 dollars in Denmark.

But the owners make additional 4-5 cuvées from which the wine merchant in Denmark recommended me to purchase La Chapelle, Godefroy and Zacharie cuvées. I may buy all four in one shot. They aren't that cheap but never mind.

I enjoyed Beaujolais wines from Duboeuf (Fleurie and Moulin A Vent and Brouilly) until 1998, and afterwards, I forgot all about them.

Maybe it's about time to refresh my tasting buds.
Izak - All of those Thivin cuvees are worthy purchases. The base cuvee is really one of the best QPRs in the wine world. The "luxury" cuvees are interesting, some are extremely old vines, and they are great, but the margin of difference is small, IMHO. The base cuvee is that good. While all of us here love Bordeaux, what I love about Beaujolais besides its cost, is how versatile of a wine it is with cuisine and your normal, modest weekly meals. This is their sweetspot.
AKR

Post by AKR »

BoJo is something that can be drunk in the daytime, in the heat, and still let you keep on doing useful things for the rest of the day.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

AKR wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:57 pm BoJo is something that can be drunk in the daytime, in the heat, and still let you keep on doing useful things for the rest of the day.
Tastes great and less filling!
Ianjaig

Post by Ianjaig »

FYI - the latest (August) Decanter issue has reviewed 2019 Cru du Beaujolais.