BWE DC 2021: October 1 Friday dinner

DavidG

BWE DC 2021: October 1 Friday dinner

Post by DavidG »

If there is a thread on this I've missed it.

Have any of our DC locals taken on the mantle of finding a venue for a Friday dinner?
Jay Winton

Re: BWE DC 2021: October 1 Friday dinner

Post by Jay Winton »

We had a very nice dinner at Dauphine recently and I got the wine director's card. He said he would be happy to work with us. I'm not sure how much room he has though.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I thought Marus had a couple options. He seems to be missing in action. I'll try to reach him.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Just heard back from Marcus. He's on vacation. Not clear to me the extent he might be able to be involved for planning a Friday night event.
Any thoughts on venues in DC that can accommodate 30-40 on a Friday night during a pandemic?
What about that upstairs place we did last time, David?
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

I'm happy to help the Friday planning. I've been chatting with some venues for other events over the summer. I can either take this over or pass on the info to whoever wants to.

Hotel George/Bistro Bis may be a good option. They have event rooms at the hotel and catered by Bistro Bis. To my understanding.

There are a few others as well.

Bistro Cacao where we had BWE 2020 Saturday is also an option although I'm told they've gone a bit downhill during the pandemic.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

The main challenge with the Friday and Saturday events is the head count. It can be hard to find places with private rooms big enough for ~45 people which also allow corkage and provide enough stems and have good food, all for a reasonable per person charge. If you know some places like that Joel, I bet Jim will deputize you straight away to lead the effort.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Blanquito wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:57 am The main challenge with the Friday and Saturday events is the head count. It can be hard to find places with private rooms big enough for ~45 people which also allow corkage and provide enough stems and have good food, all for a reasonable per person charge. If you know some places like that Joel, I bet Jim will deputize you straight away to lead the effort.
The Hotel George/Bistro Bis is the the best bet for that. They have rooms for that many. Up to 50-60 if I remember. I got all that info from the events coordinator back in June.

They have all of the above, not cheap but cheaper than Charlie Palmer by a tad I would say. Probably under 200 a person if my math is correct.

I'll reach out to her again and go from there.
marcs

Post by marcs »

Bistro Bis is where I set up the Friday dinner at our last BWE DC. I thought the room was a bit small/crowded but it worked OK
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

marcs wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:15 am Bistro Bis is where I set up the Friday dinner at our last BWE DC. I thought the room was a bit small/crowded but it worked OK
They have bigger event rooms in the hotel to fit a lot more people. You're definitely correct about the mezzanine at the restaurant which fits around 15 people comfortably.
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

Great food at Bistro Bis - would be a good choice for Friday night if that can be worked out.

Chris Bublitz
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

Bistro Bis did a nice job for that upstairs dinner and seems to understand the wino culture. Thanks Joel for taking the lead.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I’m good with whatever Joel and Marcus come up with. They know the scene and have always picked excellent places.

Agree about Bisto Bis. They do have large rooms. Have had many "event" dinners there (our Academy offices are just around the corner). The owner's son was the chef when we had our summer dinner on the mezzanine overlooking the lobby. That was a bit tight with the single long table. A new chef was in charge when we had our last BWE DC Friday dinner with about 30 people and 3 round tables in one of the larger but not largest rooms. Food was excellent both times. And we might run into Tucker Carlson in the bar…
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I thought Bistro Bis was one of the best BWE dinners we’ve had as far as food quality.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Yeah, the food there is a lot more interesting than the standard steakhouse fare at Charlie Palmer.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Do we know approximately how many for the Friday dinner?
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Joel, you probably want to start a thread and ask people to indicate if attending and how many.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Is there a way to lock this thread so that we all post in Joel's?

OK, think I figured it out...