BWE DC Convention and COVID

DavidG

BWE DC Convention and COVID

Post by DavidG »

There will be about 40 of us sharing camaraderie, wine, and food for a significant amount of time indoors and unmasked for two to four days at the BWE Convention in DC. Even though we're a well-educated group, perfectly capable of weighing the risks vs. the benefits of seeing each other again (and deciding that the benefits definitely outweigh the risks!), I felt compelled to post a few musings about those risks.

The fact that we're all fully vaccinated substantially reduces the chance that anyone will get COVID during our gathering or traveling to and from DC. The mRNA vaccines (Pfizer and Moderna) are not as effective against the Delta variant as they are against the original strain. They are still in the 80% effective range - better than a lot of vaccines like influenza most years. But they are not 100% guarantees. With a little luck, Delta will be waning in a few weeks, but there is no way to know.

I've talked to our event planner at Charlie Palmer. They follow DC guidelines, which currently means that the staff will be masked and guests must be masked while walking through common areas of the restaurant (e.g. to the rest rooms). They have no requirement for staff vaccination and are unable to estimate how many of the staff are vaccinated. We will be in our own room in the Alcove, but the air circulates with the rest of the restaurant and there is no way to know the vaccination status of the other diners in the restaurant.

The risk of serious illness is higher for those with other medical problems and those with less robust immune systems. There will be some high-risk people at our Convention. I've attached a NY Times article about risks of breakthrough infections in the vaccinated. It's not the New England Journal of Medicine, but it contains some decent practical information.
Vaccinated people can still transmit the virus, and that can happen during asymptomatic viral shedding. However, most transmission from vaccinated individuals occurs when they are symptomatic. And viral load declines more rapidly in the vaccinated, making them contagious for shorter periods of time. If you develop a fever or start coughing and sneezing after arrival in DC, please don't come to the dinners. Or do a home test to differentiate between allergies and infection (see below). I know that dropping out would be horribly disappointing after making the trip and being so close, but I also know that none of us would want to put our friends at risk.

Masking is one way to reduce risk further. Required while walking through common areas of restaurants in DC. Highly recommended and required on most public transportation. Obviously we won't be masked in the Alcove while eating and drinking. If anyone wants to wear a mask when not eating or drinking during our gatherings, I'd like to put it out there that no one should think less of you or make you feel uncomfortable for doing so. Do what feels right for your situation. We all have different risk profiles and different approaches to dealing with that. As friends we can respect and appreciate those differences.

For those who want to go an extra step, there are home antigen tests like Abbot's BinaxNOW:

https://www.amazon.com/BinaxNOW-COVID-1 ... B094LVQZJL
https://www.walmart.com/ip/BinaxNOW-COV ... /142089281
https://www.cvs.com/shop/abbott-binaxno ... did-550147
https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/binax ... 27-product

I've attached a second NY Times article which describes the capabilities and limitations of these tests.
Antigen tests are much less sensitive than PCR tests. However, they can still significantly reduce risk of transmission at large gatherings by alerting people to stay away if their test is positive because that means their viral load is probably high enough to be contagious. There are also home PCR tests, but they are much more expensive and less readily available. PCR is sensitive enough to be positive in some individuals who have been exposed but are not shedding enough virus to be contagious.

Peggy and I plan to do a home antigen test the morning of each of the dinners we’re attending (Friday and Saturday). In the highly unlikely event that we test positive, we'll drop out but will still send along a few bottles.

I'm really looking forward to seeing all of you again!
Tom In DC

Re: BWE DC Convention and COVID

Post by Tom In DC »

Thanks, David! Well done, indeed.
AKR

Post by AKR »

We've had to take Binax tests 3 times in the last week - school related - and I would note that they are quick/idiot proof.

But the actual kits are getting scarce, so secure some ahead of time. Amazon is some areas can't get them to people for weeks/months. We found a CVS slightly out of the way that had a bunch, at $26 per pair. I'm not sure if they are reimburseable by any insurance.

=======

Although I can't make it I appreciate the informative post! Have a great time. (My employer just decided yesterday to postpone our RTO plan)
Dionysus

Post by Dionysus »

AKR wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:13 pm Although I can't make it I appreciate the informative post! Have a great time. (My employer just decided yesterday to postpone our RTO plan)
I'll second that. A very considered and informative post David.
Would have loved to meet you all - reading through the various planning posts definitely leave me with pangs of jealousy. Have an amazing time.
Conor
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Thank you David.
I'm confident that BWEers will act as adults and conduct themselves responsibly and sensibly.
We appreciate your efforts during these challenging times.
Sorry you guys can't make it, AKR and Dio.
SF Ed

Post by SF Ed »

Thanks David! I've already started to use the Binax tests and they are very easy.

SF Ed
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Thanks for sharing, David. Although it does appear that all of those links are out of stock/backordered. Hopefully that changes in the next week or two. The good thing is that I think this group is very informed and cautious in general so I hope for the best possible.

If anyone finds new sources for these tests, please post. Unless SF Ed stockpiled 200 of them and wants to bring a separate checked bag...
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

AKR wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:13 pm
But the actual kits are getting scarce, so secure some ahead of time. Amazon is some areas can't get them to people for weeks/months. We found a CVS slightly out of the way that had a bunch, at $26 per pair. I'm not sure if they are reimburseable by any insurance.

JoelD wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:27 am Thanks for sharing, David. Although it does appear that all of those links are out of stock/backordered.

If anyone finds new sources for these tests, please post. Unless SF Ed stockpiled 200 of them and wants to bring a separate checked bag...
Try the updated link to the CVS site. If it shows out of stock online, enter your zip code in the search box at the right. Availability at stores near you will show up. There are a few stores within 10 miles of us that have them.

Similarly for Walgreens, there's a store selection bar across the top of the page. Clicking it should bring up a list of nearby stores, some of which are likely to have stock.

Most insurance carriers won’t reimburse for these without a doctor's order, or maybe even with one. But they are eligible for FSA and HSA accounts.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

DavidG wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:36 am
Try the updated link to the CVS site. If it shows out of stock online, enter your zip code in the search box at the right. Availability at stores near you will show up. There are a few stores within 10 miles of us that have them.

Similarly for Walgreens, there's a store selection bar across the top of the page. Clicking it should bring up a list of nearby stores, some of which are likely to have stock.
accounts.
Thanks, David. Clearly I'm still learning how to use this internet thingy.

Looks like there are a bunch available near me. If anyone needs me to stockpile. Let me know.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Call first. The online info about availability in local stores can be incorrect.
And availability for online ordering seems to come and go.