Anyone Try This With The Same Impression??

dstgolf

Anyone Try This With The Same Impression??

Post by dstgolf »

Yesterday we got together with my golf/wine buddies for afternoon game and wine dinner to follow. Magical Fall weather with temperature well above avg and course in mint shape with friends bringing their A games. Birdied 18th hole to tie the match which was a fitting end.

Dinner was at an outdoor patio with unusual upbeat vibe during these times and DJ playing fabulous background tunes. Felt like south beach all over. 7 bottles amongst 4 guys carried on BWE tradition of moderation! I'll review the wines later but my buddy who is one one the most respected oenophiles around poured a spectacular bottle of 2006 Sir Winston into large bowl Bordeaux glasses and what a revelation. Usually we serve Champagne in flutes but Brendan said why would you do that with vintage champagne that typically has such a magical nose that you can't appreciate in a flute. The experience was wow and now I'm afraid all of our flutes will become redundant because the added pleasure gained by the large glasses cinches we won't be returning to flutes any time soon. If you are skeptical try it and judge for yourself but nice to have discovered this even if late in the game. Try it and let me know if you're convinced as well.
Danny
Harry C.

Re: Anyone Try This With The Same Impression??

Post by Harry C. »

The trend has been to using a more white wine glass. Flutes limit nose, coupes limit seeing the bubbles. White wine glasses are a happy medium.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Yes, Champagne is making great wines, and great wines need great glasses.

The flutes are nice visually, but it is way better to have Champagne in regular wine glasses, to have a improved experience with the nose and even the mouth.

Normally, you cheer with the flutes for the picture, and when that is done, i transfer the wine in a wider glass to continue.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Yes, I never use flutes for champagne anymore. What I like are certain white glasses. Particularly the Gabriel Glas, gold edition if you can. But they're pricey. Or the zalto desert wine glass actually. Nice and open. But I prefer the bulb on the GG, also for older reds and then most whites of course.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Looks like I'm well behind the curve but not old enough to change my ways.
Danny
jal

Post by jal »

Jill prefers flutes for champagne, i always prefer white wine glasses.
I think older champagne would work better with flutes though
Best

Jacques
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

My go-to stem for bubbly is the Zalto White Wine glass. It’s a little smaller and narrower than most white wine glasses, but presents much more of the bouquet than a flute I find.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

I never use flutes. How do you experience the nose in a vintage champagne with a flute!? I use a generous white wine glass.
ericindc

Post by ericindc »

Although we usually use white or Zalto Sauternes glasses for champagne, I could totally see the Winston Churchill working really well in a red wine glass. They generally need a ton of air and are usually best after a few hours open. More than any other champagne i've had. I've considered decanting young versions.
--
Eric
Frederico

Post by Frederico »

I use Zalto Universal. Any one?
s*d*r

Post by s*d*r »

In a big glass, for every extra molecule of fragrance you add, you lose one bubble.

Since no glass optimizes both, what compromise you choose is simple personal taste.

I like Zalto champagne or white.
Stu

Je bois donc je suis.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

s*d*r wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:21 pm In a big glass, for every extra molecule of fragrance you add, you lose one bubble.

Since no glass optimizes both, what compromise you choose is simple personal taste.

I like Zalto champagne or white.
Yep, that’s right...

For my personal taste, I drink bubbly primarily because I don’t want to part with bubbles. But looks like a worthy try to drink the champagne side by side in separate glasses and check it out...
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

Flutes are fine for a small volume Champagne toast but I prefer a larger wine glass. My current favorite for Champagne is the Riedel Vinum Zinfandel/Riesling/Chianti
wine glass. Next choice would probably be a standard white wine glass. I like a 3 or 4 ounce serving of Champagne and prefer to have the wine glass only about one third full.

Chris Bublitz
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Been using regular wine glasses for Champagne for years.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

I don't get hung up abou wine glasses.

I use flutes because I'm not rich enough to go out and buy a set of glasses that are probably better.

For all other wines I use Spieglau Vino Grande glasses. Once again, Riedel may be better, but I'll be damned if I'll use glassware that costs that much.
Glasses break....

Alex R.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Guys
I use Riedel glasses for just about everything these days.
The Champagne glasses are much bigger and wider than are most commercial flutes and seem to be the best of both worlds. Some years ago I bought six hand made and gold leafed champagne glasses in Venice after watching the glass blower make some. Champagne never tasted good in them thus I happily use them as a decoration only.