Why i like the 2016

Nicklasss

Why i like the 2016

Post by Nicklasss »

Last night, we had dinner with friends at our house, and we cooked lamb. It was time to drink some red Bordeaux.

Before describing the wines, we had two 2016 and one 2009, and all i can say is "will the 2016 ever shutdown?".

The two 2016 were decanted 60 minutes before consumption. The 2009, pop'n'poured.

The first wine, the 2016 Les Lions de Batailley, performed like a first wine i guess, as it was excellent. Is it the vintage, but nothing to be shy off: dark color, a nose that was screaming "Pauillac", with that nice concentrated blackfruit, minerals, light cedar, light black chocolate. Strong nose. The mouth was equalling the nose, with it that little Pauillac austere strickness, but dense black berries, coal mineral, soft spices and lead pencil character. Good structure, dense tannins, good length, for a very reasonable price. I felt like it was very open. Clearly a traditionnal style, but well made. Tn: 91.

The second wine was even better. The 2016 Chateau Saint-Pierre is also respecting all the Saint-Julien criterion. It was also dark, but the nose was even more complex than the first wine, mixing the red berries/rasberries with the strong blackcurrant fruits, some nicely integrated oak vanilla and spices, some sweet dry tobacco and even some flowers. The mouth was perfectly seductive with the rasberry and ripe red cherriy flavors, sweet blackcurrants "à la Margaux", with also the "Pauillac" density of ripe tannin with a light cedar and balsamic touch, and infused light plums and complex oak. Very long too and i thought it was giving a lot for a 5 years old wine... Tn: 93.

The third wine, the 2009 L'Enclos de Ramage la Bâtisse, is the second wine of that Haut-Médoc. Good red color too, the nose is riper as the red fruits is just lightly candied, with some nice tobacco and ripe cabernet concentrated blackberries. Also a touch of... mint. Mouth is not overdone, possibly due to the 2/3 cabernet in the blend. A bit less density than the two other wines, but still very convincing with ripe redfruits, spicy oak, ripe lush tannins, and final of flowers and purple fruits. Not the most structured, but long sweet fruit final. Drinking nicely at age 12. Tn: 89. This wine is 25 $ here, make it a great qpr.

A very good night.
Dandersson

Re: Why i like the 2016

Post by Dandersson »

Hey Nic,
100% with you on 2016. Fantastic vintage.
I had two 2016 Cantemerle and Sarget about a year ago that didn't really lift, kind of closed down. Last couple of months Lacoste Borie, Lafon Rochet, and Cantemerle again, these all showed great, enormous purity in the fruit and those tannins, love it!. I have a feeling I ought to be stocking up on 2016 more than I have.

Best, Dan
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

2016 vintage is for me an incredibly distinguished one, with a lot of style and incredible balance.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

2016 may be the greatest Bordeaux vintage ever.
William P

Post by William P »

I've enjoyed the 2016 and bought a few cases, which is rare now. I believe Lafon, Siran, Cantemerle, Malartic and Lalagune are well made with excellent balance. What I find particularly pleasing is they are very accessible now but will age nicely.

Bill
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Now, how will i keep my hands off my other 2016? I feel a bit like Jim when he open a case of a good Bordeaux... Seems like my Malescot, Clerc, Chevalier, Beychevelle and Calon Are screaming to me...

I guess i will try to buy some Crus Bourgeois that are still available.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Folks
I just checked my storage unit manifest.
I have 10 full cases of 2016's plus various broken lots.
Half each are left and right bank, the latter all St Emilions.
The right bank include Margaux and St Julien plus one Haut Medoc (Sociando Mallet).

I have only tried some lesser wines from 2016 so far, which have been pretty good for their rank - I mean Medocs and a few Haut Medoc CB's.
Even these lowly wines have shown very good structure and balance.

I am wondering if I bought too many St Emilions though.
There are six unbroken (12OWC) cases plus a few odd bottles.
So my question is whether the high opinions expressed here extend to St Emilion?

cheers
Mark
AKR

Post by AKR »

Nice to see positive comments on Batailley. I don't know why, but I always have warm feeling toward this old school, Casteja run property, even if - on paper - it would not seem to be in my wheelhouse at all.