20 YO Chateauneuf

Nicklasss

20 YO Chateauneuf

Post by Nicklasss »

I'm not a fan of red wines from Chateauneuf-du-Pape.

But when i read the quick comments of Marcus about the three 2001 Chateauneuf that were at the BWE 2021 Friday night dinner, can some of you elaborate a bit more about these wines? Seem to me that they made a good impression on Marcus...

Thursday night, i will attend a young Chateauneuf tasting at JeanFred's place. Will report.
JimHow

Re: 20 YO Chateauneuf

Post by JimHow »

The 2001 Chateauneufs that Eddie and others brought to the convention were among my favorites of the weekend, Nicola...
That 2001 Beaucastel... Mmmmm doggie.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

2001 is hands down my favorite CDP vintage

Pegau
Charvin
Beaucastel
Clos de Papes
Vieux Telegraphe

Go grab some!
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

Keeping in mind, provenance is everything at this stage. The 01s were great but I'm afraid my 06 Pegau, young and fresh, was overshadowed.
Dandersson

Post by Dandersson »

Used to really like Chateauneuf up until like 09, since then I haven't had it much. Tried a couple the last year but was unimpressed, over extracted, over oaked, alcohol bombs. The problem for me is finding my way back, so many estates and I simply don't have time enough to try many wines from this area.
I have 4 bottles in my small cellar, that will be consumed in many years. Nic, looking forward to hearing about your tasting.

Thank you!

Best, Dan
AKR

Post by AKR »

Lots of great CNDP - and clones - out there. Nice list from OrlandoRobert; I'd add Vieux Donjon as another 2001 to try.

It's generally hard to find older Rhones, so one should lay them down themselves I think, although it has gotten slightly easier in recent years if you can get shipping or have access to auctions.

I had a superb 2001 - Clos du Caillou's 'Les Quartz' - a couple weeks ago.

https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/vi ... 1#p3344241
jal

Post by jal »

After Rayas which is not really a Châteauneuf du Pape regardless of what the label says, Pégau Cuvée Réservée is my favorite. The Da Capo and Laurence are too cloying for me.
No matter what, these need at least 3 Blanquitos from release
Best

Jacques
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

OrlandoRobert wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:39 am 2001 is hands down my favorite CDP vintage

Pegau
Charvin
Beaucastel
Clos de Papes
Vieux Telegraphe

Go grab some!
Not much to add to this. Pretty much my list of faves in large part because they resisted the trend to go all gloppy sweet and ripe. Also Rayas and Bonneau Celestins but they’re too pricey.

Gotta be OK with a little Brett to like Pegau. Or a lot if you don’t have cool storage. Used to be the case with Beaucastel too but they’ve cleaned that up.

These all benefit from 10-15 years, unlike many of the riper modern CduPs.
jckba

Post by jckba »

I’ll also add Vieux Donjon, Saint Prefert and Chappelle St Theodoric to the above list of producers I tend to buy nowadays.

And if you haven’t had the latter, I strongly suggest you seek out a bottle of the traditionally styled ‘Le Grand Pin’ as this 100% Grenache offering comes from northern section of the Pignan lieu dit that is literally adjoining the vines of Chateau Rayas. This project is a joint venture between Baptiste Grangeon (of Domaine de Cristia) and Peter Weygandt (who also imports Charvin).
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Apropos to this, I had a killer Rayas this past weekend that pretty much blew some other heavy-hitters - like 1990 Chave, 1999 Verset and 1995 Leroy Clos Vougeot - out of the water:

2008 Chateau Rayas

A very Burgundian nose of wet earth, mushrooms and perfectly ripe wild strawberries. So soil-to-glass transfer. My iPhone corrected “soil” to “soul” and that was rather apropos. So singular for a Chateauneuf du Pape. Gosh so fragrant. Medium weight to light on the palate but very lifted. Highly concentrated red fruit, strawberries, spicy red raspberries, and a broad range of earthy flavors and textures. Red licorice but not of the sweet candy sort. Some archetype Grenache spiky kiss of warmth but really quite well in check. Amazing how Rayas can pull that off so deftly. The nose just continued to soar higher on night long. (97 pts.)
AKR

Post by AKR »

Also Nicklass - check to see what you have in your market. Odds are decent that if got shipped to North America its good anyways even if not in the exalted list presented above. I think the standards of winemaking is high, so even the modern styled ones are good to drink, but should be consumed a shade earlier.

Gigondas and some other satellite AOC have wines that are comparable, but don't seem to last as long.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Man that’s a mouth-watering Rayas note!
jckba

Post by jckba »

When it comes to the Southern Rhone, there is Rayas, Bonneau and then pretty much everything else.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

jckba wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:39 pm When it comes to the Southern Rhone, there is Rayas, Bonneau and then pretty much everything else.
Agree that those two are in a different league, but lumping everything else together ignores the substantial differences between say, a Beaucastel or Pegau and a Janasse Vieilles Vignes or Usseglio Mon Aieul. Though I'm pretty sure that's not what you meant...
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

jckba wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:39 pm When it comes to the Southern Rhone, there is Rayas, Bonneau and then pretty much everything else.
Agreed. Rayas is transcendent. Two of the guys in my group scored the wine higher, one a 99. I think the wine will get there with a little bit more age, I rated it based on exactly what I saw in the bottle, and the palate could use just a little bit more fleshing out, but of course I am being nitpicky. We had a weekend of tremendous wines, and the only one that matched up to that Rayas was an incredible 2005 Vatan Clos de Neore. Arguably the best dry white wine in the world outside of Burgundy. Another transcendent wine.
AKR

Post by AKR »

which I interpret as $$$$$ and then $

if one likes Bonneau, Dom. La Milliere is worth a look, btw.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I remember you brought a Bonneau to a BWE event once Arv.
jckba

Post by jckba »

Right, I just meant that those 2 estates are producing wines on a different level and consequently, that their pricing is fully reflective of that fact.
Hm$(still)

Post by Hm$(still) »

I’ve recently had occasion to dig into my stockpile of 1998, 2000, 2001, and 2003 Pegau. The 2001 is really singing right now.

Hm$