Chateau d’Issan

Musigny 151

Chateau d’Issan

Post by Musigny 151 »

Here is a link to an Interview with Emmanuel Cruse of Chateau D’Isaan

I have long felt the Issan is one of the most underrated wines in Bordeaux. I buy most years, and bought a lot more of the 2019, as it was and is available under $50.

http://www.johnmariani.com/current-issue/index.html
jckba

Re: Chateau d’Issan

Post by jckba »

I too like d’Issan and buy it when it makes sense but the below sentence does not make much sense to me as wouldn’t the Malbec vines be relatively new vines if planted in 2010 or is he saying old vines re-planted in 2010?

“For the first time, we have harvested 3 new grape varieties from these new plots: Cabernet Franc (old vines planted in 1958); Petit Verdot (old vines planted in 1948); and Malbec (old vines planted in 2010).”
Last edited by jckba on Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I’ve never heard of Malbec planted in Bordeaux, have other estates done that?
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

JimHow wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:42 pm I’ve never heard of Malbec planted in Bordeaux, have other estates done that?
Jimbo -

Malbec is one of the traditional five varietals, and was a predominant grape before the 1855 Classification. Phylloxera changed all that, but some Chateau still have a small cut of it in their cepage and/or vineyards, think Domaine de Chevalier, Clos Rene, Clerc Milton, et al.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Learn something new every day!
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

JimHow wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:04 pm Learn something new every day!
Since I’m feeling a font of knowledge today, allow me to further your edumication!

Malbec is also the predominant grape in the Cahors region just to the east of Bordeaux. It’s a wonderful substitute for Bordeaux for heavy country dishes like stews and cassoulet or lamb. Try Chateau Lagrazette.
bradburyd

Post by bradburyd »

OrlandoRobert wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:53 pm
JimHow wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:42 pm I’ve never heard of Malbec planted in Bordeaux, have other estates done that?
Jimbo -

Malbec is one of the traditional five varietals, and was a predominant grape before the 1855 Classification. Phylloxera changed all that, but some Chateau still have a small cut of it in their cepage and/or vineyards, think Domaine de Chevalier, Clos Rene, Clerc Milton, et al.
I believe Carménère is also used by Clerc Milon and Mouton Rothschild - so six varietals.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

bradburyd wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:01 pm
OrlandoRobert wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:53 pm
Jimbo -

I believe Carménère is also used by Clerc Milon and Mouton Rothschild - so six varietals.
You know it’s funny, I knew that, and still messed it up, LOL. I checked a historical website that suggested there were only five varietals at the time of the 1855 classification. I went with that citation. Turns out it is completely wrong, and Carmenere was a very common great at that time. I assumed it came later, as a result. Thanks for the post!!
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

Malbec is grown mainly on the Right Bank, but it's planted sparingly in Margaux commune.

I tasted this wine from Montagne-St-Emilion - 2018 Tour Bayard L'Angelot - 100% Malbec. It's not often one comes across a whole "house" of this grape variety. It's atypical. Plenty of spicy raspberries and wild cherries on the nose and palate, quite powerful and with a strong backbone, well-marked acidity and fine structure. Long and lingering finish. Imposing wine. 91+p.

2020 d'Issan CC - 55% Cabernet Sauvignon, 39% Merlot, 3% Cabernet Franc, 2% Petit Verdot and 1% Malbec. 13.3% alcohol. Very true to Margaux style with elegance, finesse, velvety texture, silky fruit and tannin. Subtle complexity and lingering aftertaste. Lovely effort. 93+p.
PghMike

Post by PghMike »

What's the earliest you'd try a young d'issan? My 18s just arrived. Not expecting to try one for at least a few years but interested in the board's thoughts.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

PghMike wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:36 pm What's the earliest you'd try a young d'issan? My 18s just arrived. Not expecting to try one for at least a few years but interested in the board's thoughts.
Depends on the vintage of course, but the 2014 drank very well recently. I wouldn't touch the 2015-2018 yet though. Guessing the 2017 will be approachable earliest of those vintages.
AKR

Post by AKR »

He has movie star good looks. (as does his sister)

Thanks for sharing the link!
jckba

Post by jckba »

Mark,

When is the last time that you put together a d’Issan vertical as that would another tasting idea that would be of interest to me?
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

I have a 1990 that I look to pop soon...like Musigny, I echo his statements that Dissan is extremely underrated. My favorite Dissan? 1993....yep
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

I have a bottle of the 2010 that I could offer up if there was a vertical dinner nearby.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

robert goulet wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:12 am I have a 1990 that I look to pop soon...like Musigny, I echo his statements that Dissan is extremely underrated. My favorite Dissan? 1993....yep
I thought the 1990 was a great wine. Very beautiful Margaux. Although the 1990 Rausan Segla next to it beat it out slightly.

I've been disappointed with a couple bottles of the 1986 D'issan.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Loved the d"Issan review but the Streamsong piece was even more up my alley. This place is truly golf Mecca in the middle of nowhere Central Florida. For a no golfer the guy hits the right notes with some nice photos to give a feel for the place. Now I have a new blog to read and see where this takes me. Thanks for sharing this piece and look forward to enjoying Mariani ongoing.
Danny
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I've been disappointed with a couple bottles of the 1986 D'issan.
D'Issan is one of those Bordeaux, like Montrose, and Pichon Baron, and numerous others, that has upped its game since the golden decade of the eighties. Thus, the high rating in my reclassification. Others have gone in the other direction.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Jim
D’Issan actually performed well during the 80s and I fondly remember the wines from 82, 83, 85 and 88. None would challenge Ch Margaux but this is a relatively small estate that makes supple and fruity wines. I had not bought it for a few decades but did order a case of the 19 on EP.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Jim
D’Issan actually performed well during the 80s and I fondly remember the wines from 82, 83, 85 and 88. None would challenge Ch Margaux but this is a relatively small estate that makes supple and fruity wines. I had not bought it for a few decades but did order a case of the 19 on EP.
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

jckba wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:37 am Mark,

When is the last time that you put together a d’Issan vertical as that would another tasting idea that would be of interest to me?
D’Issan organized a number of verticals; the last one probably about fifteen years ago. That is where I discovered the 2006, a sleeper if ever there was one.

I am not sure I agree about the 1980s. An excellent 1983, and a really good 1989, but it was only after Emmanuel took over in the late 1990s that I saw a real turn around, and since 2000, it has been quietly on a roll.

Disclaimer I got to know Emmanuel quite well and stayed at D’Issan a number of times. I played tennis with him once and got beat soundly. The man is an athlete with a wicked second serve that bounced over my left shoulder.
johnz

Post by johnz »

Anyone had the 1996 D'Issan? I haven't, but just acquired a couple via auction. John Gilman gives 94 pts, but surprisingly notes it's tannic backbone and an incredibly long drinking window:

, and all this wine seems likely to need is a fair bit more bottle age to allow the tannic backbone to start to peel back. This will be excellent in the fullness of time. Drink between 2022-2075

Wow! Agree?

--Gary Rust
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

johnz wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:17 pm Anyone had the 1996 D'Issan? I haven't, but just acquired a couple via auction. John Gilman gives 94 pts, but surprisingly notes it's tannic backbone and an incredibly long drinking window:

, and all this wine seems likely to need is a fair bit more bottle age to allow the tannic backbone to start to peel back. This will be excellent in the fullness of time. Drink between 2022-2075

Wow! Agree?

--Gary Rust
I had it recently and was very underwhelmed. So much so that I had forgotten about it until you mentioned. The 2001 is better and the 2000 is in another league. It's possible that I had an off bottle but nothing seemed that flawed about it. Just a very thin wine without much of anything else to compensate for it.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Count me as a fan as well I was bowled over by the 2019 when I tasted it last year in a zoom with Emmanuel Cruse and I ended up buying the 2010 and 2014 as well as the 2019 - and the 2020 this year - EP.

https://www.bordeauxwineenthusiasts.com ... san#p83594

Coincidentally and fortuitously, thanks to Alex, we are going there now, and have a day in Margaux. We will report back.
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

I just picked up another '01... its a beauty, quite classic
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Issan is a great "under the radar" 3rd Growth. The 2008 i had at summer 2020 was excellent. I have some 2019 coming, responsability of that directly linked to Comte.

I tried to buy some 2020, but mixed up in the order and was canceled. When i tried to buy it back... all bottles have already been sold... so i replace by Calon Segur.