Willamette Valley-October Visit

William P

Willamette Valley-October Visit

Post by William P »

I stopped and tasted at many wineries on my trip to the Willamette Valley and bought more than a few bottles last month. This is roughly the order of my visits and some thoughts on each.

St. Innocent. As usual, I liked and bought wines at the winery. I tried the 2017 Momtazi, Temperance HIll, and Freedom. Momtazi is much different than those in the past. It is far lighter in body. Which is not to say it’s a bad wine, just less fruit driven than in the past. Of the three, Freedom is the biggest pinot and needs time. I also purchased the 2018 Freedom Chardonnay.

Cristom. Cristom was the next stop. I am sorry to say it has gone the way of Napa. The tasting fee was $40ish for a thimble full of their second string wines. While they have a skilled winemaker, the physical atmosphere is no longer as welcoming for me.

Evesham Woods and Haden Fig. This was a recommendation of Glenn and I was not disappointed. Evesham’s lineup from top to bottom was excellent. Harden Fig which was sold there (and maybe owned by Evesham) made a beautiful Chardonnay, Julliette, which I bought as well as the EW Le Puit Sec Pinot and their Eola Amity cuvee. Pretty setting and fine wines.

Bethel Heights. BH is located next to Walter Scott and above the old St. Innocent winery. BH owns Justice as well as their estate vineyard. It’s a beautiful place and we enjoyed the visit. Purchased two bottles of their Justice. They make good wine.

Failla. Failla Winery took over the old St. Innocent winery. It is run by Ehren Jordan who made wines in the Sonoma region before expanding into Oregon. His wines are very good, but a little pricey for me. I feel that he will be moving to a small venue soon. I was the only one tasting. Still a beautiful location to taste and well made wines.

Keeler. Beautiful place to sit, relax, and drink. The wines were my least favorite of the trip and it was about $40 a tasting. Don’t bother.

Violin. This was a recommendation by Marcus at Goodfellow. Will, the owner, was an assistant to Walter Scott. His operation is so small that he doesn’t have a tasting room. We tasted outside of the communal crush facility. His little winery was fantastic. I bought a case of Chardonnay, and a mix case of Eola Amity Pinot, Justice Vineyard, and the Willamette Valley Cuvee. He is engaging, knowledgeable, and fun. I had a great time there. He is also collecting some excellent vineyards for his single vineyard bottles. Justice and Sojeau being but two of them. Will is definitely a winemaker to watch.

Torii Mor. My first visit to Torii Mor and I enjoyed it. The tasting room overlooks their beautiful vineyards and the Valley in the distance. I tasted only their Pinots and purchased their 2019 Alloro Pinot and the Chehalem Mountain Cuvee. Good solid wines.

Bjornson. Bjornson has vineyards throughout the Eola-Amity Hills. They also have a myriad of pinot bottlings to sell. They don’t sell their vineyard designated wines as such, rather they name the wines after their children, Magnus, Isabel, Edward. They also have two vineyard select bottlings from grapes sourced outside of the estate. Good wines but not among my favorite.

Sadly I was unable to go to Goodfellow Winery and Vincent because of Covid protocol.

Bill
stefan

Re: Willamette Valley-October Visit

Post by stefan »

Thanks, Bill. That is useful for me because I'll take my sister and brother law to a few wineries in a couple of weeks and this gives information on where we should go.
Claret

Post by Claret »

Nice trip, I need to get back to OR.

I hear good things about Violin.

I have not had any recent Evesham Wood, but they were great when Russ was the man and good things have continued with Erin. Good value for the quality.

SI always delivers, with the exception of a 2011 Momtazi I had last week!

Of course the emerging star of OR is Chardonnay. Closer to Burgundy than CA, w/o premox and very high price points.

Bill, I forgot which vintage of the recent bunch you stated aligns with my palate, that being more elegant and not over ripe.
Glenn
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Very nice report, Bill. Any Covid-related restrictions in your visits?
William P

Post by William P »

JimHow wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:50 pm Very nice report, Bill. Any Covid-related restrictions in your visits?
Jim, the only restriction was, masks were required at all wineries, until you sat down. The only exception was Violin because there was never an "inside" moment so no masks necessary.
Also my visits to Vincent and Goodfellow were cancelled because of winery exposures. I was really looking forward to Goodfellow.
Last edited by William P on Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Lucie and I hope to make it to Goodfellow and Drouhin this fall. I have never been to the former but buy quite bit from Marcus.
William P

Post by William P »

stefan wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:29 pm Lucie and I hope to make it to Goodfellow and Drouhin this fall. I have never been to the former but buy quite bit from Marcus.
Stefan, just make sure you have reservations well ahead of time at Drouhin. We phoned Friday and they were booked full for Friday, Saturday and Sunday. They don't allow walk-in at all

I think you would like Violin and Will who runs it.

I was very disappointed that I couldn't go to Goodfellow, but I appreciate his caution.

Bill
stefan

Post by stefan »

Thanks for the tip, Bill.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

stefan wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:29 pm Lucie and I hope to make it to Goodfellow and Drouhin this fall. I have never been to the former but buy quite bit from Marcus.
Drouhin is one of my favorites. I'm also very partial to the Dundee hills in general. If you haven't been, make sure to check out White rose, right across the street. Domaine Serene is another one that is fun, a bit commercial but still some very quality wines.

Colene Clemens and Fairsing are other favorites nearby. I believe they're both in the Chenhalem Mountains.
William P

Post by William P »

JoelD wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:09 pm

Drouhin is one of my favorites. I'm also very partial to the Dundee hills in general. If you haven't been, make sure to check out White rose, right across the street. Domaine Serene is another one that is fun, a bit commercial but still some very quality wines.

Joel, I also have been to White Rose and Serene. I like the setting of White Rose. The wines were good but didn't move me. Serene is a different matter. I think their wines are well made but the atmosphere is very clubby/stuffy. For my taste the wines are too pricey. I think they believe they are the best and only winery in the Valley.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Thanks, Joel.

I loved Vlossak's White Rose Vineyard PN and am sorry that White Rose quit selling him grapes.
AKR

Post by AKR »

quite the adventure!