Tonight, an 06 Levet Chavaroche, in honor of BWE’s OrlandoBobby

Blanquito

Tonight, an 06 Levet Chavaroche, in honor of BWE’s OrlandoBobby

Post by Blanquito »

Robert first put the spot light on Levet, brightly enough that I took note and bought some 04 and 06 when it was still like $45-$50. I enjoyed a 04 shortly thereafter and was duly impressed. I now have some 04, 05, 06, 10, 15, 16 and 18 of the Journaries and Chavaroche…

Robert is a wine influencer, you could say, look at all the people who ran out and loaded up on Ovid after his posts on the Other Board…

Decanted for about 45 min… this smells great, rocks, soil, dark fruits, all woven up with a little feral energy… sauvage, a touch stemmy, sour cherries, iodine, a wonderfully rustic and wild nose...
OrlandoRobert

Re: Tonight, an 06 Levet Chavaroche, in honor of BWE’s OrlandoBobby

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Haha, me and BobbyG last night on his 50th! En magnum! Baby fresh. I think it’s the November 2018 vintage!

2861249E-A968-4FB2-9C00-1914E9D8A7EA.jpeg

It sucked.

Now the Levet, funny enough, I just got in some 2005 today. Love these vintages. I wanted to bring a magnum of 04 Levet last night but Bobby wanted something else, so I brought a 2000 Trotanoy and a 2010 Gonon St Joe.

I love Levet, easily have 100+ bottles from 04-18 vintages. A truly distinct, classic wine. Old vine Serine, not Syrah. It’s been a while since I had an 06, but recall liking it. Even 08 is delish, but more easy drinking. The 07 vintage is magnificent. Best of that decade, easily.

Load up, kiddos. Thank me later.

PS. Ovid is sold out.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

This is a singular wine. It smells like it’s got ripe, even stewed fruit, but when I taste it, it’s quite dry and savory infused with umami and sandstone.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

It’s bright and energetic, both floral and tarry. With air, some quintessential Cote Rotie notes of ham and lavender join thr fun… in many ways this reminds me of certain Loire wines which seem to transcend the genre morphing into (what my wine buddy Ted brilliantly dubbed) a “curative broth”.
Last edited by Blanquito on Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

But I dig it and assume it would be even better in a riper year. Seems ready to drink, but should easily hold for 10 or more years. 93+ pts.
Last edited by Blanquito on Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Nice description Patrick.

Last Levet i had was the Améthyste and it was almost like you described this Chavaroche. Rocky mineral, broth and fruit. Nothing modern in the wine.
jal

Post by jal »

I love this wine, I paid $75 for some 2016s last November.
Best

Jacques
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Nicklasss wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:01 am Nice description Patrick.

Last Levet i had was the Améthyste and it was almost like you described this Chavaroche. Rocky mineral, broth and fruit. Nothing modern in the wine.
Nic - There is a big step up from the Améthyste to the Les Journaries and La Chav, well worth the small price difference. I do not buy the Améthyste.