The Great 2022 Wine Buying Freeze has begun!

DavidG

Re: The Great 2022 Wine Buying Freeze has begun!

Post by DavidG »

Literature on health effects of alcohol is extensive, confusing, and complex. There’s pretty good evidence and agreement that alcohol is not good for the liver. Less certainty about how much is too much for any given individual. Pretty, pretty sure that 1,000 liters a day falls on the too much side of that line…

Some impressions follow, but I could be convinced otherwise on any of them. I bet Stu could cite chapter and verse.

Moderate consumption (1-2 glasses per day) slightly reduces all-cause mortality. Probably. But not all studies agree. Devil is in the study details and populations.

It reduces cardiovascular death. Probably. Depending on how much is consumed. Different impact on different cardiovascular diseases.

It increases risk of cancer. Though there are lots of different cancers. Breast cancer is probably one of the most studied.

These are all population-sized effects and are not useful in predicting how alcohol will affect any one individual.
Claret

Post by Claret »

On a statin, so am glad I have commited to buy no wine and drink half as much from my 470 bottle cellar.

I know I will go one day, but by sugar, liver or Covid is not my plan.
Glenn
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Don't forget, no bikini tops on July!

Well, as death is unpredictable, i prefer to be killed by an over consumption of Lynch Bages, Calon Segur, Petrus and Barde Haut in company of any BWEers.

Champagne, Côte Rôtie and Chambolle in excess, would be acceptable to me too... with a 2004 Pavillon Rouge to help.

Or go find Jim in Alaska, with 3 cases of great wine from Chinon, and a bottle of Lafite for when this trial is won and over.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Nicklasss wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:16 am Don't forget, no bikini tops on July!
Nic, you’ll have to explain to me how women going topless in July is some sort of pleasure denial akin to a wine buying freeze.

Nicklasss wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:16 am Well, as death is unpredictable, i prefer to be killed by an over consumption of Lynch Bages, Calon Segur, Petrus and Barde Haut in company of any BWEers.
I could live with… umm… die with that.

Nicklasss wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:16 am Or go find Jim in Alaska, with 3 cases of great wine from Chinon, and a bottle of Lafite for when this trial is won and over.
Haven’t heard from Jim in a few days. Hope he’s just too busy to check in and not too sick.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I'm doing alright David, checking in periodically.
Jury selection begins in the morning, should last through Tuesday or Wednesday.
I anticipate that opening statements will be mid-week, on Wednesday or Thursday.
Jury selection is behind closed doors, but they'll stream the trial publicly beginning with opening statements.
I'll get the link for you once it becomes public.
Many things to report back on when this is all over, it has been quite an adventure.

BD
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Glad to hear you’re feeling ok Jim, and that things are moving forward. Good luck!
s*d*r

Post by s*d*r »

DavidG wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:48 pm
“Literature on health effects of alcohol is extensive, confusing, and complex. There’s pretty good evidence and agreement that alcohol is not good for the liver. Less certainty about how much is too much for any given individual. Pretty, pretty sure that 1,000 liters a day falls on the too much side of that line…

Some impressions follow, but I could be convinced otherwise on any of them. I bet Stu could cite chapter and verse.

Moderate consumption (1-2 glasses per day) slightly reduces all-cause mortality. Probably. But not all studies agree. Devil is in the study details and populations.

It reduces cardiovascular death. Probably. Depending on how much is consumed. Different impact on different cardiovascular diseases.

It increases risk of cancer. Though there are lots of different cancers. Breast cancer is probably one of the most studied.
What David said. Chapter and verse:

Up to Date
●By contrast, the cardioprotection of light to moderate alcohol intake is not universally seen. In a meta-analysis using 694 data sources of individual and population-level alcohol consumption from 592 prospective and retrospective studies, which included 28 million individuals aged 15 to 49 years, 12.2 percent of male deaths and 3.8 percent of female deaths were attributed to alcohol use [2]. The protective effects of alcohol consumption on CVD were complex in populations aged 50 years and older; these associations were influenced by sex, age, and socio-demographic status. For men residing in countries with high or low socio-demographic index (SDI), light to moderate alcohol consumption had a protective effect on ischemic heart disease. For females in high SDI regions, there were protective effects of alcohol on diabetes beyond 60 years of age. In a sensitivity analysis that explored the weighted influence for various health outcomes, the only protective effect of alcohol was observed in populations where diabetes and ischemic heart disease comprised more than 60 percent of total deaths. In at least two other pooled analyses, the cardioprotective influence of light to moderate alcohol consumption was not observed [52,55].
DavidG wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:48 pm These are all population-sized effects and are not useful in predicting how alcohol will affect any one individual.
True, but that’s all we have until genome based precision medicine matures. Do you feel lucky today?

Still haven’t found any cancer that alcohol prevents or treats.

Best not to think alcohol, even wine, is health food.
Stu

Je bois donc je suis.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

My first temptation is a bit of a quandary. There's a meursault that I really want and will definitely buy whenever the buying freeze is over.

However, there are 2 bottles left at retailer for $95 now. Those will sell out today most likely. Or I can wait for this freeze, and probably be able to order for $88 a bottle from a different place. The catch is that I have to order 6 then. Which I'm not sure I want or need that many.

Assuming I intend to get this wine at some point this year, which option do I select? Buying freeze broken early for less money/wine or later on but higher total spend..
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

If you’re sure of availability at the lower price, maybe you can find some to go in with you before pulling the trigger on the more expensive bottles. If not, with the power invested in me by the great and wise BD, I hereby grant you an exemption.

While I’m at it, I’ll grant myself an exemption for 2 bottles of 2016 Montrose I found locally @ $154/btl.
stefan

Post by stefan »

This buying freeze brings to mind my mother's famous two day diet.

It starts on Sunday night and ends Monday morning.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

DavidG wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:38 pm If you’re sure of availability at the lower price, maybe you can find some to go in with you before pulling the trigger on the more expensive bottles. If not, with the power invested in me by the great and wise BD, I hereby grant you an exemption.

While I’m at it, I’ll grant myself an exemption for 2 bottles of 2016 Montrose I found locally @ $154/btl.
Good idea, David. I'll risk it and wait a bit. Then see if someone wants to go in on a few with me.

Buying freeze still intact. 11 days down. I don't blame you in the slightest on those Montrose though. I need some as well.

Is that like the See-food diet, Stefan?
barsacpinci

Post by barsacpinci »

I have not purchased anything and I’ve been very tempted. I gave up Cedric Bouchard and Ulysses Collin offers as well as my Kistler and Aubert allocations. So, I just make lists of things I want for Feb 1st!
Brian Pinci
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

barsacpinci wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:30 am I have not purchased anything and I’ve been very tempted. I gave up Cedric Bouchard and Ulysses Collin offers as well as my Kistler and Aubert allocations. So, I just make lists of things I want for Feb 1st!
Damn, I would have broken for the the Cedric Bouchard's. Are those still available? Please shoot me and email or PM if so.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Zero cellar wine purchases for me so far in 2022.
Have you bought anything in the NH sale, Gerry?
Looks like I'm going to miss the January sale.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Still doing fairly well, although I had an order I put in tentatively in Dec come through so had to pay for it now.

3 bottles of Elvio Cogno Barolo Ravera 2014@80 a piece all in.

Either I broke the fast or I found a loophole. Either way, I'm ok with it. Steal of a deal.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

You ordered it in December. Exemption granted.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

JoelD wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:24 pm Still doing fairly well, although I had an order I put in tentatively in Dec come through so had to pay for it now.

Either I broke the fast or I found a loophole. Either way, I'm ok with it. Steal of a deal.
If I had to buy a 2014 Barolo that would be the one I would buy.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Comte Flaneur wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:07 am
JoelD wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:24 pm Still doing fairly well, although I had an order I put in tentatively in Dec come through so had to pay for it now.

If I had to buy a 2014 Barolo that would be the one I would buy.
I tasted it recently, side by side with the 2015 and it is clearly the better wine of the two. Great depth and dark fruit. Needs 5-10 before I'd try another one obviously. I'll be curious to see how the 2016 is, but they're being tighter with allocations on that it appears.
Claret

Post by Claret »

How cold is it out there?

Still frigid at 3 months.
Glenn
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Mid forties in southern New England. :D
Blanquito

Re: The 2021-2022 Wine Buying Freeze Thread

Post by Blanquito »

So, how did everyone's 2022 Wine Buying Freeze go?

For my own part, I bought 152 bottles of wine in 2022 (at ~$75 a bottle on average), but also drank/sold/gifted 453 bottles, for a net drop of 301 bottles.

So, while I bought far more than I intended, this year was, by my standards, a smashing success in reigning my wine accumulation and rampant expenditures (purchases vs proceeds from sales). So, things are looking up, it's a brave new world!

Yet, on the other hand, I still have nearly 2300 bottles in the cellar! Uh-oh. On second thought, we'd better make 2023 another great year without-buying-wine! Who's in???
Last edited by Blanquito on Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I’m proud to report that it was a complete and utter failure.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

You’re talking to a man who bought 18 bottles of 2016 Mouton with one swipe of the AmEx card. No, it was an ignominious failure for me.

This year my goal is to get more Burgundy in the cellar.
stefan

Post by stefan »

I bow to Blanquito. While on a wine buying freeze he bought about as many bottles as I did when I was trying to fill three wine fridges in our Oregon condo. I resolve to do better in 2023.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

JimHow wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:24 am You’re talking to a man who bought 18 bottles of 2016 Mouton with one swipe of the AmEx card. No, it was an ignominious failure for me.

This year my goal is to get more Burgundy in the cellar.
Isn’t there a permanent exception for First Growths and winners of the BWE Wine of Year awards?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ah yes, it is that time of year….
Time for applications for the 2023 buying freeze exceptions.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I was telling Blanquito that I added up all my 2022 wine purchases from my bank and credit card statements and the total came to over £50k. That’s nuts. I am targeting a 90% reduction in 2023.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I am targeting a 90% reduction in 2023.
lololololol....
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Comte Flaneur wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:20 pm I was telling Blanquito that I added up all my 2022 wine purchases from my bank and credit card statements and the total came to over £50k. That’s nuts. I am targeting a 90% reduction in 2023.
Ugh. I have thus far held off on doing that math. I might have to do it soon though. Probably in the same range. But I also sold a lot this year that offset, I hope. I am 100% sure that I increased my number of total bottles, even if the $ may have evened out.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

I blame Blanquito for how crazy I went after doing well on a true buying freeze for approximately 39 days last year... fell fully off the wagon. The one thing though, is I regret very few purchases in terms of cost/what I like to drink. I'll let you know all know in a few years if that ends up making sense. If the economy recovers, some of those buys will look amazingly good.
jal

Post by jal »

About $5,000 for me. Better than previous years, actually, much better.
I will try to do even better in 2023.
My buying and collecting days are over, I no longer have a cellar, I have wine fridges with a total capacity of about 300 bottles, and when I open the fridge, I'd like to find wine that's more or less ready to drink. I don't want to wait decades for a wine to be ready.
Best

Jacques
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Me too, scared to do the math. But i feel like i'm in the 15 k$ + or - 5 k$ area, that is way too much for me when i think about it.

So, i never been participating in any WBF, but like would say Neil Young, "Tonight is the night" and 2023 seems a good year for me to try/start participating in a WBF.

But i understand i will need full support from my BWE family, my surrounding family, and some psychologists...

Like Jal, i want to focus on wines ready sooner than later so looking forward to buy Bordeaux on the next crapy vintage... should be well aligned with a WBF as seems there is not crapy vintage anymore.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Seeing how I totally crashed and burned in 2022, and hoping that a bit of reverse psychology might work, my sole New Year resolution this year was to not participate in a 2023 wine buying freeze.

It’s all good. The year is already 1% over and I’ve felt no pressure to buy wine.
SF Ed

Post by SF Ed »

I just try to keep consumption above purchases. I stopped buying Bordeaux with the 2009 vintage and can't afford age worthy Burgundy anymore, so the goal is to drink the good stuff I bought 15-20 years ago and slowly reduce the cellar.

SF Ed
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I like the DavidG “leave a modest fine wine cellar for my heirs” strategy.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

I'm starting off the year with a bang.
On Monday I drove to Saratoga Wine Exchange to pick up nearly 2 cases of assorted BDX 375s, a couple of 2015 Cantemerle, some 2018 Senejac, a few Champagne bottles, and etc.
And Yesterday I think I finally made a deal that will stick - for that bottle of 1986 Ch. Mouton Rothschild I've been coveting out of Karl's cellar. What's current valuation on bottles of '86 Mouton, anyone know?
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

SF Ed, i found a nice store in London with middle aged Bourgogne at very ok prices. I'll bring you there as I plan to go back to bring back 1 or 2 to Canada to enjoy with MC.

This is where i picked up a 1997 Henri Rebourseau Charmes Chambertin for 95 GBP... to drink with Comte Flaneur.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Comte Flaneur wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:20 pm I was telling Blanquito that I added up all my 2022 wine purchases from my bank and credit card statements and the total came to over £50k. That’s nuts. I am targeting a 90% reduction in 2023.
Yeah, this exchange reminded me of this thread, lol. Wine buying in 2021 was out-of-control, whereas 2022 was my “best” year probably ever. I know selling wine is cheating at a little but progress is progress. And as David notes, 2023 is going quickly and my wine-less streak is intact, bring it on 2023 (and keep KL’s shipping options onerous at best). Hope springs eternal.
SF Ed

Post by SF Ed »

Nicklasss wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:36 pm SF Ed, i found a nice store in London with middle aged Bourgogne at very ok prices. I'll bring you there as I plan to go back to bring back 1 or 2 to Canada to enjoy with MC.
Great! I am sure I will be able to figure out something to bring for Friday night with the help of my BWE friends (I am not going directly to London so I am not lugging around wine from my cellar for the first part of the trip).

SF Ed
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

It is so easy to buy.

I got an email today with a really compelling argument to buy GPL 2018, at 20% below release, and I do not doubt that it is a great wine. Given how good are the 2015 and 2016, I have not one scintilla of doubt. It is almost a non brainer:

“One great bargain in the sale is the 95/96 point 2018 Grand Puy Lacoste. Released at £672 per 12 in 2019, we can now offer this quintessential Pauillac at £540/12 in bond. We have 47 dozen available, freshly shipped from Bordeaux and packed in wooden cases of six.

Neal Martin describes the wine as “superb”, and “A wine to correct those bemoaning that Bordeaux no longer makes "proper Claret.””, scoring it 95. His colleague Antonio Galloni rates it 96 - "The 2018 Grand-Puy-Lacoste is fabulous, just as it was from barrel". Our own Thomas Parker MW scored it 95+ at the Southwold tasting (where scores tend to be on the conservative side): “this is a very smart wine - one that would probably show even better in isolation and certainly with more time in bottle. Excellent.”

At £540 per dozen or £270 per six in bond, this comes in at 10% less than the 2019 and the 2021, and just under 20% less than its release price. Quite the bargain, especially given that GPL is already so reasonably priced compared to its peers.

2018 Château Grand Puy Lacoste
£540 per 12 bottles in bond
£270 per 6 bottles in bond
Buy Online Now
"The 2018 Grand Puy Lacoste has a quintessential Pauillac nose of intense black fruit infused with graphite scents, pencil shavings and a very discreet marine influence. It is beautifully defined, less opulent than the 2018 Lynch Bages tasted alongside, yet maybe more complex. The palate is medium-bodied and taut, offering sappy black fruit, gritty tannins and a lot of crushed stone. The focused, graphite-driven finish could only come from this appellation. Superb. A wine to correct those bemoaning that Bordeaux no longer makes "proper Claret." 2023 - 2050"
95 points, Neal Martin, Vinous.com

"Tasted blind at Southwold 2019. Deep ruby colour. Fragrant and quite open on the nose at this stage, showing lightly toasted wood and creamy sweet spices underneath an intense nose of sweet plums and cool blackcurrant. It is very enticing. The palate is lined with chalky and persistent but fine tannins - there are excellent bones here for long-term ageing. The fruit is deeply savoury on the palate - more so than on the nose - adding rich complexity and moreishness. The tannins are coated with dark, ripe fruit that envelopes the palate, subsuming structure and spice to show real purity. Driven to the finish that almost builds in intensity, this is a very smart wine - one that would probably show even better in isolation and certainly with more time in bottle. Excellent."
95+ points, Thomas Parker MW, Farr Vintners

"The 2018 Grand-Puy-Lacoste is fabulous, just as it was from barrel. Strong Cabernet inflections soar out of the glass, giving the wine a compelling aromatic profile laced with the essence of graphite, dried herbs, menthol and dark fruit. One of the most classic (for lack of a better word) wines in the Left Bank in 2018, Grand-Puy-Lacoste is super-impressive right out of the gate. Grand-Puy-Lacoste is ultimately a wine of tremendous class that remains restrained and aristocratic in breeding. Don't miss it. 2028 - 2048."
96 points, Antonio Galloni, Vinous.com

But you have to draw the line somewhere. There was something else that cropped up earlier this week which was sorely tempting too. But we are only five days into 365 s onto capitulate now would be very weak.
Last edited by Comte Flaneur on Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.