The Great 2022 Wine Buying Freeze has begun!

Comte Flaneur

Re: The Great 2022 Wine Buying Freeze has begun!

Post by Comte Flaneur »

SF Ed wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:53 pm
Nicklasss wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:36 pm SF Ed, i found a nice store in London with middle aged Bourgogne at very ok prices. I'll bring you there as I plan to go back to bring back 1 or 2 to Canada to enjoy with MC.
Great! I am sure I will be able to figure out something to bring for Friday night with the help of my BWE friends (I am not going directly to London so I am not lugging around wine from my cellar for the first part of the trip).

SF Ed
Ed I can help you out on all fronts, maybe we should chat on email.
SF Ed

Post by SF Ed »

Comte Flaneur wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:13 pm
Ed I can help you out on all fronts, maybe we should chat on email.
PM sent
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Ian inspired me to do the math. I did the expenses first and it was a bloodbath. However I somehow actually came out net positive on wine sold vs wine bought. I'll call this a win, for sure. As part of the reason I sold wine was that I knew I had spent way too much and would continue to do so. I believe this was my goal for 2022 and I met it.

I do however refuse to do the bottle math as I'm quite sure I have more bottles than at the start of the year. Although it's definitely not as terrible as other years.

I know some on this forum look down on selling wine, but in fairness most of it was wine that I did not want to drink for what it costs. Lots of high parker rating cabs from my early days for instance. Or wines like the 99 Salon that are just stupidly priced. Selling wine has allowed me to load up on 80's Bordeaux. Fair to say this is my own definition of the BWE spirit even if it conflicts with others' opinions.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I know some on this forum look down on selling wine....
I have never sold wine myself but I have also never begrudged anyone who wants to sell their wines.
I've always believed that people should be free to do whatever they want, as long as it makes them happy, and doesn't hurt themselves or someone else.
It's why I get frustrated by the political extremes, because they preach one thing about freedom, and it's fine for them, but not the other guy.
Although, I would have to say it is the right that has come to violate this more than the left, as evidenced by what we've been seeing in Washington.
jal

Post by jal »

So far this year $669 for 3 various NV Champagne, 3 half bottles of Chianti, 3 Bourgogne Rouge and 3 Chambolle Musigny Village (all reported in the "So what have you bought lately" thread: http://www.bordeauxwineenthusiasts.com/ ... f=4&t=5404
I think this is manageable for now. My wine fridge is full but I no longer have an overflow in the regular fridge or in boxes near the AC vent :D
Not quite a wine buying freeze but definitely not crazy
Best

Jacques
stefan

Post by stefan »

So far in 2023 I have spent $4,431. All but maybe 6 bottles are for our places in Oregon. I'll try to keep up this buying pace, but I doubt that I can as it takes up too much time. After I retire I'll have more time to devote to this activity, which will cost me much less than dabbling in the stock market.

The solution to your "problem", Jacques, is so simple. Why do you reject buying another wine fridge?
jal

Post by jal »

Lol Bill,
I think I will need a bigger house. No more room for another wine fridge in this condo
Best

Jacques
stefan

Post by stefan »

I am sure that we can find you a nice one on Lake Mercer, Jacques. An added bonus is that Oregon does not have a sales tax.