Itinerary for BWE Maine '09

JimHow

Itinerary for BWE Maine '09

Post by JimHow »

It's been a busy, rainy summer here in Maine, hard to believe it's almost over.

It sounds like the plans are crystalizing for BWE Maine '09 as follows:

Thursday evening (September 10th) dinner at my house. We'll pull out the good stuff, I can grill some steaks (or anything you want) on the Weber out on the back deck. Mr. Vino checked into the rates at the newly-renovated Motel 6 in Lewiston, which is 2.9 miles from my house. The rates are $40. I recommend this option. The motel is not fancy, but it is clean, near my house, and on the way to Boothbay Harbor. It is basically a place to sleep after the dinner at my house. We will ensure there is transportation to and from the motel. If you prefer, Hilton and Marriott have more upscale accomodations in Auburn, about eight miles away, in the $150 range.

Friday we can make our way to Boothbay, we can have breakfast at my house if you prefer, perhaps have a lobster roll lunch in Boothbay, or whatever you want, your comfort is my priority. The plan is to stay at Smuggler's Cove in Boothbay Harbor on Friday and Saturday nights. As for dinners, as I've indicated previously, corkage, or the lack thereof, will be an issue. I'm looking into activity options for Friday and Saturday, let me know if you have anything in particular you'd like to do while here.

Right now I count commitments from Rob/Susan, Jay/Peggy, Danny/Danielle(?), with a number of others expressing an interest in participating. Please let me know at your earliest convenience whether you are coming. It'll be a great time on the coast of Maine, the most beautiful place on earth!

Smuggler's Cove: http://www.smugglerscovemotel.com

Motel 6: http://www.Motel6.com
Daytonnc

Re: Itinerary for BWE Maine '09

Post by Daytonnc »

Hi Jim!

Rob and I are booked at the Motel 6 on September 10. Also booked at Smugglers Cove the 11th and 12th.
Also - Andy wrote me that he and Lisa will also be coming to BWE Maine 09.

As for dinner on the 10th - Anything you want to make is fine with us - we aren't picky. As we will be up there anyway, if you want us to pick up anything or cook or anything - we are at your service! Just let us know and we can be there any time.

For anyone living in Boston (or in Boston during that time) and wanting to get together for dinner - We are Staying at the Sheraton Boston Hotel from September 5 - 7. We will be driving up the coast on the 7th.

Can't wait to see everyone.

Susan
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Excellent plan, Susan! are you going up to Bar Harbor?
Glad to hear Andy and Lisa are making it!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

We're going to have to pull out a certain Maine chocolate cake with cream filling delight with some fine aged Medocs for dessert.

I'm not going to say the name of the dessert right now, you are just going to have to use your imagination....
Daytonnc

Post by Daytonnc »

Jim:

I don't think we are going to go all the way up to Bar Harbor - I was looking at Rockport Camden area (unless you think that is a bad idea.)

Susan
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

Thanks for taking the lead on this. We're looking forward to our trip and seeing everyone!
aimeedogdogdog

Post by aimeedogdogdog »

I can't believe it that we are going to miss this event (family obligation on the weekend of labor day and in the following week)! It seems this is going to be a lot of fun! Can't wait to see the reports.

Werner
Rick

Post by Rick »

Jim
As you know I am scheduled to speak at a conference in Atlanta by one of my Atlanta guys , w/o my knowledge , too late to change the committment so Kathy and I are taking a pass .............but I sure need a vacation have been working 10-12 hr/day for 21 days on an SEC investigation ...damn lawyers want everything done quickly

BWE in MAine will have a great time

rick
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Disappointed that we are going to miss this too - move in time at college. Sure you guys will have a blast. We'll just have to enjoy it vicariously through your notes, so be sure to post. And include some pics!
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

Lobster, morning, noon and night!
Daytonnc

Post by Daytonnc »

Jay - my thoughts exactly! ;)
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

The lobster market has crashed up here, you can get it for like $3.50 a pound!
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

JimHow wrote:The lobster market has crashed up here, you can get it for like $3.50 a pound!
music to my ears :D
Rick

Post by Rick »

the lobster was great last year
Kathy still says the best she ever had

rick
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

Is this is the motel 6 near your house?

Motel 6 lewiston #1223
516 pleasant street
i-95 at lisbon st/sr 196, exit #80
Lewiston, ME, 04240
Phone: (207) 782-6558 | Fax: (207) 783-5270
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yes. It is 2.9 miles from my house, right near the Maine Turnpike exit 80.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

booked! They don't take AARP or AAA but I did get a "senior rate" of $41 when I mentioned I had those cards.
Daytonnc

Post by Daytonnc »

Jim:

Can you email me at sdayton at cozen dot com? I need your address so Rob can Fedex some wines up there before we travel up.

Thanks!

Susan
HarryKaris

Post by HarryKaris »

I am still working on a new schedule because the delivery of the books is delayed but I really will do my utmost best to join you. I'll try to combine this trip with meetings in NY and Washington DC.

Harry
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

We'd love to have you here Harry, just let us know.
I sent you an email susan.
We need to start thinking about a roll call of who's coming, I'm looking forward to it, the summer has turned beautiful up here all of a sudden.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

That is shaping up nicely.

I have been dreaming about being there. Marie-Claude has a family thing (reunion?) in montreal on the Sept 12th. And not having renew her passport, she's out for sure. But, as i have to be in montreal for that family reunion, I'm considering/dreaming about attending the Thursday and Friday dinners. On my own, unfortunately. A long drive for two dinner, not impossible... but it will be hard... but as I'm virtually out of Jal's pool party, how could I miss the Maine event?

tourmented Nic
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Nicolas, as BD I'm ordering you to attend. Come on, it'll be fun, we'll drink some great wines, eat some lobster and steamers on the coast, etc., etc! The summer has turned really beautiful in August after a wet June and July.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Jim,

Still hopeful. We've been swamped with work this summer so not so bad that the weather has been the pits.We've shaved off some of our holiday time to accomodate the volume. I'm trying to get the Thursday/Friday off so that we can come down for a 4 day weekend. Lobster better be good and plentiful to drive 10hrs each way. Can get lobster at home though so there must be some other reason like raiding the How cellar or hooking up with Rob and Susan again. Maybe Nic?! or other BWE'ers not met. Harry would be fun to meet.I'm doing everything I can but down to the last partner that I can switch with and he's away until next weekend. Will keep you posted.

With gaurded optimism,

Danny
Danny
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Just let me know when you can, Danny.
I'm flexible for the Thursday night dinner, I can accomodate anywhere from two to twenty people.
My dining room table seats 12.
I'm going to pull out some nice left bank Bordeauxs from the cellar.
As I mentioned above, we can grill whatever anyone wants, I suggest we hold off on the lobster til we get to the coast.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Jim,

I'm doing everthing I can to be there. Planning on leaving WEd night after work and drive in to Vermont or New Hampshire depending on how tired I am to make thursday a shorter day so that we can enjoy the eve. Leave Sun am early to get home. Will have to be a good boy Sat night for the long drive back.

Hopeful,

Danny
Danny
JEP_62

Post by JEP_62 »

Sorry I hadn't responded yet. Too much going on recently.

Lisa and I are in for the weekend at Boothbay Harbor / Smuggler's Cove Inn. Unfortunately, we can't swing getting up to Lewiston for the Thursday dinner due to work commitments.

I think there are a couple of others from Boston that are still trying to figure out if they can make it up to Boothbay.

Susan, Rob, definitely interested in doing something the weekend before in Boston. I'll start checking out our options for BYO but they may be limited on a holiday weekend. Would Sunday work better for you since you're flying in on Saturday?

Andy
Daytonnc

Post by Daytonnc »

Hi Andy:

I think we get in midday on Saturday - so either day works for us. I know Rob is shipping wine to Jim's for the 10th - but I don't know if he is planning on bringing wines on the plane - I'll have to check with him. We can always buy off the wine list if it will be hard getting reservations for a byo in Boston that weekend. We will leave it to you to decide where you think would be good to eat. We are pretty open for most cuisines.

Just let us know which night - either Saturday or Sunday is fine with us. We are staying at the Sheraton Back Bay/Copley. Sorry you can't make it to the Dinner at Jim's but glad you can come to Smugglers Cove!
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

Well, it looks like Peggy will be tied up both nights while we are in Boston 9/8 and 9/9 so I'm up for some quaffing if any of the Boston group is available. No car but I assume public transportation will get me where I need to go. Send me a PM if you like or email jhw59 at hotmail.com I also thought about going to Fenway but getting tiks is tough I guess.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

The O's are in town those nights, how many tickets do you need, Jay?

We'll see you on the coast, Andy.

Right now I have Jay/Peggy and Rob/Sue as confirmed for dinner in Lewiston on Thursday, with Nic, Harry, and Danny/Danielle as possibilities.
RDD

Post by RDD »

Hi Jim:
Any theme in particular?
Maybe if the crowd is small we'll make up for it by having stunning wines.
Maybe tempt Harry with CnP? Cote Rotie? Hermitage? What it take Harry?
Anyway since you're nie enough to have us I'll make sure the wines we bring our worthy.
So should be a package in bound to you next week.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Can't wait, Rob, it's been too long!
I gave Sue the address, you're more than welcome to bring wines, but I've got plenty up here!
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

I will bring some 96 Lanson champagne-drinking well now.
Michael Malinoski

Post by Michael Malinoski »

Hi everyone, I have been lurking in the weeds on this event and it is now looking like Susan and I will actually be able to get babysitting so we can come up to Boothbay for Friday and Saturday nights. We still have to get a reservation at the hotel and all that, but it is looking like a go!

So, have there been any discussions about wine themes for those two nights? Susan and I would love to have at least one evening (Saturday?) of all Bordeaux, but we are certainly up for anything. I have read that there are concerns about restaurants and BYO, so what are our options? I am happy to jump in and help pursue possibilities at this point...

I also see that some folks are in Boston the week before and that generically speaking we are trying to organize something. That is another thing I'd love to have us nail down a specific date and locale for, so I can see if I would be available.

Thanks and looking forward to meeting you all!

Michael
Daytonnc

Post by Daytonnc »

Hi Michael:

Andy and Lisa have said they would like to have dinner in Boston either Sat. the 5th or Sun. the 6th. We are up for either night and any venue. If either you or Andy want to contact us directly you can email sdayton at cozen dot com or Rob dot Dayton at Fiserv dot com. It would be fun to get a bunch of us together in Boston!

Best,
Susan
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Awesome! As for drinking in Boothbay, though, we really need to figure out a plan as there is no corkage allowed.
Michael McNamara

Post by Michael McNamara »

Hi Jim
Mike McNamara checking in.I might be able to make it up Thusday Night and maybe For Friday at BoothBay.I will let you know in a few days if I can get the time off from work.Its been to long since we have had some great wine together.

Regards,Mike
JEP_62

Post by JEP_62 »

Michael Malinoski wrote:Hi everyone, I have been lurking in the weeds on this event and it is now looking like Susan and I will actually be able to get babysitting so we can come up to Boothbay for Friday and Saturday nights. We still have to get a reservation at the hotel and all that, but it is looking like a go!
Michael, great to hear things are looking good for Susan and yourself.

Lisa and I are free both Saturday the 5th and Sunday the 6th to do something in Boston. I was thinking Troquet, but I don't know if that would fly on Sat or Sun, especially a holiday weekend. Any suggestions?

I'll also throw out that I'm willing to host at my house and cook but I'm not sure if Rob and Susan want to come out to the 'burbs.

Andy
Michael Malinoski

Post by Michael Malinoski »

Andy, I can't do anything on the 5th here in Boston, as I will be at a family reunion in Western Mass that day. Sunday the 6th might work for me, though, let me check. If Troquet cannot accomodate, most of the other options are in the 'burbs (Wellesley, Needham, Woburn, Belmont, Waltham, etc.), except King Fung in Chinatown for Peking Duck. There are also places in the city like Ruth's Chris that will charge $25 corkage, too. Best to call ahead and check with them on that.

Anyway, coming back to Maine, let's pick a Saturday night wine theme relatively soon so we can pull some flights/thoughts together. Should be fun!

-Michael

P.S. Mike, would be great to see you again!
Daytonnc

Post by Daytonnc »

Andy:

Rob and I are amenable to anything you guys want to do. If you want to do something at your house in the "burbs" - I am sure there is transit in Boston????? If we do something like that (and even if we go to a restaurant) we could maybe ship wines to your home? As to what wines to bring, I will defer to Rob. But I know he is shipping this week to Jim's house for his party and for Smuggler's cove.

Like Jim said, we probably need to come up with a theme?

Susan
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Mike McNamara, as BD I order you to come up for the weekend, it has been too long.

One of the main reasons why I wanted to have a Thursday night dinner at my house was because I wanted to be able to drink as much wine as possible without restrictions.

I remain concerned, though, about how we will be able to do "themes" the rest of the weekend in Prohibition era Maine. Restaurants do not allow corkage up here!