The 2014 Clerc Milon is stunning, brilliant, ‘88/89-Lynch-like.

JimHow

The 2014 Clerc Milon is stunning, brilliant, ‘88/89-Lynch-like.

Post by JimHow »

This wine is stunning. I’ve had numerous bottles, and it has been A++ every time. I’m currently rating it 97+ points, it may be even better than that. It’s not the big beast that is the ‘89 Lynch, but its Pauillac classicism is in the same rarefied atmosphere. It is dry, cedary, classic, stunning lead pencil, a brilliant mix of Mouton and Lafite. Every bottle I’ve tried has left a huge amount of sediment. The nose jumps out at you immediately upon uncorking. Gerry and I got this wine at a ridiculous price in NH. I have been screaming about the greatness of the 2014 vintage from the day it was released, but, hey, those whose palates don’t align with mine (rolls eyes) missed out. JCkba was the one who recommended that I buy this wine, and I’m glad I did, in three case quantity. Wish I bought more! This wine is drinking stunningly now, but will easily benefit for another 2-3 blanquitos. A wine of ‘88/89 Lynch quality. Absolutely immense classic Pauillac. Rating: 97+ points.
robert goulet

Re: The 2014 Clerc Milon is stunning, brilliant, ‘88/89-Lynch-like.

Post by robert goulet »

Orlbobby..I have the 2000 clerc if u want to pop
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

The 89 Clerc Milon was Very good at the Saturday dinner. It was at our table. Did you get a chance to try?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

It was excellent, but I think the modern Clerc Milons are a step up from the older vintages.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Pauillac at it's best. 120 min in decanter, no shit, what you can ask more? John Lennon music.
Attachments
Ķu<br /><br />Ooouu.  Aaaaaaa
Ķu

Ooouu. Aaaaaaa
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

You boys are killing me.

I need to buy some.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

robert goulet wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:11 am Orlbobby..I have the 2000 clerc if u want to pop
Fuk yes!
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Like on the label OB : let's dance!
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I feel like enterely possesses by Pauillac. And it is MC who chose to open that wine.
Like The Beatles song: And I lover her
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Wow! Seems to me you brought an ‘89 Clerc Milon to a BWE convention once Nicola, which we uncorked late at night at the hotel. Would have been at least teen years ago.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Buying opportunities for Clerc Milon have evaded me thus far. However, there are six bottles of 2015 at my local wine store, and with wine prices on the rise, they're looking more attractive right now.
Listed at $82.99, I think I can get 10% off. At $75 I might find a way to put a couple of them in my cellar.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Racer, the price of Clerc Milon has increased, but from what i have tasted last night, the 2016, i think Clerc is nearer to Mouton quality than ever.

Like Jim, i can see some similar characteristics to the 1988/1989 Lynch Bages too.

My father is not the greater taster, but last night, the wine was full of blackcurrants, cedar, lead pencil, black cherries, spices. Very long and convincing finish of minerals, more blackcurrants and violet flowers, that he could all identified too in the wine. Amazing. Rating : 94-95.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

I haven’t tasted the 2014 version, but tasted the 2016 at the UGC. It’s a dynamite wine, and BD should pass an edict that every BWEr should try to own one atleast... :P
Dandersson

Post by Dandersson »

Chris, at that price I would go for it. I only have the 16, and waiting for the 19. Prices that I have seen lately has been too high.
Interestingly, the 2014 d'Armailhac is a great wine too.
Both seem delicious to drink on the young side but my recent tasting of 2003 d'Armailhac showed that they evolve into fantastic wines.

Best, Dan
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Amen on the ‘14 d’Armailhac, Dan, a little more medium bodied than the Clerc Milon but an absolutely delicious true to form Pauillac. I’ve got a case left, I’ll give it a blanquito before cracking it open.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

If I had anything left of this year's budget I would just go grab all 6, but I'll make sure I get one or two and then see if there are any left when my coffers are refilled.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

Chateau Vin wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:41 pm I haven’t tasted the 2014 version, but tasted the 2016 at the UGC. It’s a dynamite wine, and BD should pass an edict that every BWEr should try to own one atleast... :P
These were my impressions on our UGC tasting thread about 2016 Clerc Milon...

PAUILLAC: The wines from Pauillac really moved me. I loved their fresh acidity and low alcohols giving the wines a good balance in my opinion. Some wines like P Lalande was a bit muted, but P Baron was more expressive with bigger power and tannins. Baron showed beautifully with cassis and spice notes and a very good finish. I would say Purple Baron was my WOTD for my taste...

But the real treat was that I thought Pauillac wines each were competing against each other in their own way. After Baron, Lalande was beautiful with elegance and finesse on the palate. The Lynch was there too, but I would rate a tad lower than both the Pichons.

With Lynch charging premium these days, I think Clerc Milon can take the place of "Poor man's Lafite" for 2016 vintage. Compared to recent vintages of Clerc, even including the dual vintages of century (09 and 10), Clerc was spectacular with spice notes, grippy tannins and well balanced finish. I will be looking for some...

Some of us on the forum had on and off experiences about Armailhac, but I think they outdid themselves and produced great wine. Although, in terms of balance, I wished they had a bit lower tannins. But nonetheless a great wine and can't go wrong...
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Clerc Milon is definitely a wine that has benefitted from the changes in winemaking in the last thirty years.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

JimHow wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:02 pm Clerc Milon is definitely a wine that has benefitted from the changes in winemaking in the last thirty years.
I always feel personally connected to this estate given my early exposure to it. My wife and I took a long honeymoon in France in 1996, spending several days in Bordeaux. We did the Mouton tour with the museum, and you end with a very generous tasting of the three estates. Healthy pours back then as well, even of Chateau Mouton. I left with a bottle of 1993 Mouton (the controversial label) and a 1990 Clerc Milon. We popped that bottle with a couple we met on the tour, they had an ocean front home right on the Atlantic, we ended up staying over after way too many bottles! Since then I have had many vintages of this wine, but then somehow did not buy anything after 2000, not sure why. Definitely gonna dive back in after Jimbo’s gloating!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ha, went to Mouton on my honeymoon in 2000, bought a bottle of the 1993 with the controversial label.
We went to France instead of Hawaii, I remember Francois saying, what are you, crazy, go to Hawaii!
He was probably right, as she asked me for a divorce on the fourth day of the honeymoon.
Didn't seem so at the time, but I realize now it was the best thing that ever happened to me.
I've got one bottle of the 2016 Clerc Milon in my cellar, what has been the scoop on the 2019?
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

JimHow wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:35 pm Ha, went to Mouton on my honeymoon in 2000, bought a bottle of the 1993 with the controversial label.
We went to France instead of Hawaii, I remember Francois saying, what are you, crazy, go to Hawaii!
He was probably right, as she asked me for a divorce on the fourth day of the honeymoon.
Didn't seem so at the time, but I realize now it was the best thing that ever happened to me.
I've got one bottle of the 2016 Clerc Milon in my cellar, what has been the scoop on the 2019?
Haha, is that true? I would posit that your performance might not have been up to snuff? :lol:

My wife and I went twice to France that year, and have since gotten back several times, including with our kid. Have been to Hawaii as well. Living on the Florida beaches, I take France over Hawaii any day of the week. My favorite country in the world.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ha yeah I was with her 8 years, by the time we were married it was time for a divorce. There were many issues there.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Dated more than seven years? Lucie and I had known each other for 9 months when we got married, and we have been married for something like 70 years. (Hard to remember and I don't feel like getting out my calculator to compute 2021 - 1968.)
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

We were together 8 years, were married 10 months, then dated again 2 more years after the divorce, were gonna get married a second time before, mercifully, she decided to move to LA. It was a totally fucked up situation, but all for the best. Thank goodness we didn't have any kids. I've been happily with Xia now for more than a decade, fortunately we only see each other about 35% of the year, which is probably the secret to the success. I gotta get through these murder cases and hopefully slow down by the end of next year, maybe get a place in NYC as well as my two houses in Maine. The criminal defense system is in total collapse up here, I got appointed to 5 new Class A felony cases yesterday, I know have 115 pending felony cases, including two remaining murder cases. I gotta get Alaska behind me, we're thinking of making a Netflix worthy documentary out of it!
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

stefan wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:20 pm Dated more than seven years? Lucie and I had known each other for 9 months when we got married, and we have been married for something like 70 years. (Hard to remember and I don't feel like getting out my calculator to compute 2021 - 1968.)
Our resident mathematician has been married 53 years, says it feels like 70.

Oh Lucie… there may be some splainin' to do.

Congratulations Bill, wishing both of you happiness for at least 70 years.
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

I'm enjoying my 1st 2014 Clerc Milon in four years. Damn, it's better than I remember it. Time has been beneficial and another ten to fifteen years will be stunning. It's among the top 2 or 3 sub $50 bottles I've ever had. Unfortunately, those days are long gone. Everything is in balance with still slightly primary black fruit but with still evident rounding tannins to provide a great framework. Time will allow the finish to lengthen.
marcs

Post by marcs »

I spent like $300 for the 89 Lynch Bages because this board assured me it was the greatest Bordeaux ever, now I learn the $50 2014 Clerc Milon is just as good…sigh. I have to adjust my purchasing decisions for Jim’s rapture factor
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

marcs wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:59 am I spent like $300 for the 89 Lynch Bages because this board assured me it was the greatest Bordeaux ever, now I learn the $50 2014 Clerc Milon is just as good…sigh. I have to adjust my purchasing decisions for Jim’s rapture factor
Lol, it's cheaper than the 89' LB but it's now at least $120 at retail.
marcs

Post by marcs »

Gerry M. wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:03 am
marcs wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:59 am I spent like $300 for the 89 Lynch Bages because this board assured me it was the greatest Bordeaux ever, now I learn the $50 2014 Clerc Milon is just as good…sigh. I have to adjust my purchasing decisions for Jim’s rapture factor
Lol, it's cheaper than the 89' LB but it's now at least $120 at retail.
that's almost the same as 2014 Montrose or Pichon Baron!