Magdelaine vertical and a VCC 1998

Musigny 151

Magdelaine vertical and a VCC 1998

Post by Musigny 151 »

Friday lunches are special, as they usually involve friends, good wine and food. Makes the weekend start a little fuzzy, but who cares?

As we were talking theme, one of my friends offered a 1989 Magdelaine, it was immediately augmented by the 1982 and 1970. All showed beautifully.

The 1970 was fully mature, but still showed traces of primary fruit, spices, floral notes and a lovely silky texture. Calm beautiful finish. 95

Serve the 1982 blind, and you would think you were drinking a fifteen year old wine. Showed much younger than the 1989. The richness of the vintage, with wonderful notes of roses, a touch of black fruit, the same spice blend as the 1970 and a smokiness. Also a fine finish. 95

The 1989 showed a lot of funk at first, which took a good ten minutes to blow off. Once it did, this was far and away the best bottle of the vintage I had ever had. Very evolved, and fully mature, with the slight austerity of atop Magdelaine. Fruit there, but now tertiaries had kicked in, the floral, the smoke, the harness leather and the spice. Great finish. 96

Last night I opened the 1998 VCC. I had not tasted this for some months, ever since I had it blind and was so enthralled I went out and bought a case. This was the first bottle. Decanted two hours before, it still took a couple of hours more to unfurl completely. A magnificent wine in early maturity. Fruit, minerality, violets, and two thirds in, that burst of fruit so characteristic of great vintages of VCC, all held by a massive but soft tannin structure. The finish was extremely long, waves of flavor coming at me for a full minute. I am being conservative with my score, but I do urge you, if you can find it, to grab it.
98+
DavidG

Re: Magdelaine vertical and a VCC 1998

Post by DavidG »

Nice report Mark.

The only vintage of this that I’ve had, most recently this past spring, is the 2000 Magdelaine: Classic, beautifully balanced, medium body, cherry/red fruits harmonized with some good clean moist earth and a refreshing bit of green. Already has some tertiary complexity going on but promises even more for the patient. I’ve drunk through half my stash and find it tough to keep hands off, but it deserves another Blanquito or two. This is an OrlBobby wine. In fact, I think he was the one that turned me on to it.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Patrick and I drank the 1970 and 1982 Magdelaines side by side here in London in October before we headed across to France. They were both brilliant. The 1982 just edged it - by a whisker - I think they scored 95 and 96 respectively. I still have a Magdelaine vertical which includes these, the 1966, 1975, 1978, 1988, 1995 and 2000.

Tomorrow night at yet under Christmas Party my contributions are LLC 96 and VCC 98, which I agree is drinking brilliantly and has been for 3-4 years now. I am down to my last half dozen.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

DavidG wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:23 pm Nice report Mark.

The only vintage of this that I’ve had, most recently this past spring, is the 2000 Magdelaine: Classic, beautifully balanced, medium body, cherry/red fruits harmonized with some good clean moist earth and a refreshing bit of green. Already has some tertiary complexity going on but promises even more for the patient. I’ve drunk through half my stash and find it tough to keep hands off, but it deserves another Blanquito or two. This is an OrlBobby wine. In fact, I think he was the one that turned me on to it.
Thanks David, that is kind! I’ve had a couple from a UK case purchase that Mark lined up for me, but I’m giving them and even the 95s a few more years. I find the 98 more accessible, and a step above in what most of us agree is a killer right bank vintage. I just got in some 1990.
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

Comte Flaneur wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:57 pm Patrick and I drank the 1970 and 1982 Magdelaines side by side here in London in October before we headed across to France. They were both brilliant. The 1982 just edged it - by a whisker - I think they scored 95 and 96 respectively. I still have a Magdelaine vertical which includes these, the 1966, 1975, 1978, 1988, 1995 and 2000.

Tomorrow night at yet under Christmas Party my contributions are LLC 96 and VCC 98, which I agree is drinking brilliantly and has been for 3-4 years now. I am down to my last half dozen.
I like the 1996 Las Cases. Generally I find the wine difficult to enjoy, but 1996 is incredibly good, and it is the only one I have bought in quantity.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

DavidG wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:23 pm Nice report Mark.

A perfect description of the 00 Maggie, DBG. Really captures it.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Sounds like a great weekend, Mark.

I think I've waited almost long enough to crack 1998 VCC, and I just recently acquired 1 more for 3 total. Thanks for the note and the decant time. I'll report back if I open. It's either that or the 1983 VCC calling to me first.