After red Bordeaux, what are your top three wine categories?

-red Burgundy
19%
-white Burgundy
16%
-northern Rhone
6%
-southern Rhone
1%
-Loire
6%
-Champagne
17%
-Barolo/Barbaresco
6%
-Tuscany
10%
-white Austrian & German
10%
-New World
9%

Total votes: 81
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

We all know red Bordeaux is king (despite Nic's ambivalence for French merlot). Who's next is a moving target through the years, at least for me.

To my surprise, when I thought about it for a bit, I realized just how much (French) white wine and champagne have increased in favor in the Blanquito household. I started buying more whites a few years back -- partially because I really fell (extra) hard for white Burgundy ~5 years ago to go with my long-standing love for European riesling, but also because we want to open white wine far more often than red wine -- and now for the last 2-3 years I've added far more white wine to my cellar than red.

*I didn't list every category, just the ones I assume will be tops and even then I was limited to 10 options total by the software.
jal

Re: After red Bordeaux, what are your top three wine categories?

Post by jal »

Red and White Burgundy were easy, I picked Northern Rhone over Piedmont, but it was very close
Best

Jacques
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

I've been adding white Burgs, and Italians from Piedmont and Tuscany. These areas have had pretty consistent good quality the past 3-4 vintages.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Easy for me, I would just say burgundy, Piedmont and Northern Rhone without making the distinction between red and white burgundy.
Harry C.

Post by Harry C. »

Very Eurocentric poll. “New World” can cover USA, South America, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and others.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

I went with red Burg, Champagne and Barolo. Although white Burg was a close one. I just often feel that it's overpriced these days. Especially compared to the other three.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Harry C. wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:14 pm Very Eurocentric poll. “New World” can cover USA, South America, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and others.
For sure. I tried to add 5-6 New World categories but our poll question numbers are too limited with this software. Maybe we need a separate New World poll.
Ianjaig

Post by Ianjaig »

Interesting post. I would have thought it would be Southern Rhone for me, but I have been enjoying these less and less lately and so have either been drinking or selling at auction. New Zealand wines were number 2 for me. Mostly Te Mata Estate.
William P

Post by William P »

Oregon (pinot noir and chardonnay)
Burgundy
Northern Rhone

Bill
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

N. Rhône
German Riesling
Champagne
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

DavidG wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:15 pm N. Rhône
German Riesling
Champagne
Wow, I didn’t know you were a german Riesling fan! We need to pop some bottles, I have several cases of 01s staring at me just waiting for another slate and lime lover.

Do you like the Austrian versions? I like those even more than the offdry German ones these days.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Given the limits on the poll, just list your top 3 wine categories (cannot lump whites and reds, that’s cheating) after bordeaux.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Chinon
Northern Rhone

Beaujolais but that was not an option
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Tuscany
Champagne
Germany/Alsace Riesling
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Red Burgundy, White Burgundy, Champagne.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Where is Beaujolais?

I vote red/white Bourgogne and Loire. Basically, when i think about it, i like and drinks good amount of red/white from the Loire.

Northern Rhône was a choice too, but i drink mainly Côte Rôtie and not that much of other AOC.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Nicklasss wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:21 am Where is Beaujolais?

I vote red/white Bourgogne and Loire. Basically, when i think about it, i like and drinks good amount of red/white from the Loire.

Northern Rhône was a choice too, but i drink mainly Côte Rôtie and not that much of other AOC.

I always get the impression that you and I would drink well together!
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I had bojo in my original poll, but our BWE software caps polls are 10 questions (lame).
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

OrlandoRobert wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:22 am

We would drink probably too much, but well!

You know the INXS song "Elegantly wasted"...
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Nicklasss wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:49 am
OrlandoRobert wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:22 am

We would drink probably too much, but well!

You know the INXS song "Elegantly wasted"...
I prefer “Suicide Blonde”. We get drunk then go chase the blondies!
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

Red Burgundy
Champagne
German Riesling

White Burgundy is close in 4th place. Ten years ago Southern Rhône would have been in the top 3 but I have really increased my Champagne consumption and decreased my Chateauneuf consumption over the last decade.

Chris Bublitz
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

I would have gone with Provence particularly Bandol.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Blanquito wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:30 pm
DavidG wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:15 pm N. Rhône
German Riesling
Champagne
Wow, I didn’t know you were a german Riesling fan! We need to pop some bottles, I have several cases of 01s staring at me just waiting for another slate and lime lover.

Do you like the Austrian versions? I like those even more than the offdry German ones these days.
The 2001s are killer. Sadly have only a few bottles left. Happy to help you whittle down your pile. As well as get educated on the Austrian versions. Haven’t dabbled in them.
AKR

Post by AKR »

I think after BDX, my holdings would be Rhones, Rioja, Italy (Tuscany/Piedmont)

California cabs have been getting dwindling dollars (and drinking) over the years as their prices have exploded for what I consider 'workaday' bottles.
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

Red burgundy
Loire cab franc
Northern rhone
Honorable mention: champagne 🍾
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I wonder what the results would be if we had ranked choice voting. I think Champagne gets a lot of second and third place votes.
Dionysus

Post by Dionysus »

DavidG wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:07 am The 2001s are killer. Sadly have only a few bottles left. Happy to help you whittle down your pile. As well as get educated on the Austrian versions. Haven’t dabbled in them.
Austrian wines have improved remarkedly over the past 10 years or so. For me, many now rival their more illustrious German counterparts. In addition to producing some exceptional Rieslings, they are making some outstanding Grüner Veltliner's (which also ages magnificently). My favourite producers include F.X. Pichler, Franz Hirtzberger, and Prager. As is the case with Germany, 2019 is being heralded as the vintage of the century.

To the specific question asked, my top 3 categories of wines outside of Bordeaux are (50%):
White German & Austrian (20%)
Spanish (mainly Rioja, but also some Ribera del Duero & Toro) (10%)
Tuscany (5%)

The remaining 15% is a bit of everything from everywhere.
Conor
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

Burgundy
Bandol
Champagne

Adding them up, they amount to 25% of my Bordeaux holdings
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

No love for the southern Rhône anymore! Not all that long ago, it was my second favorite region after Bordeaux, up through around 2010 when my palate changed and the region went off the deep end with Cambie and the 07 vintage. I’ve never gone back, kinda sad, I used to love old school Grenache. I wonder if it still exists outside of Pegau, Rayas and a few others. Maybe in gigondas?
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Not sure how to use the poll?? Top three red Burg/White Burg and Rioja off page. Bordeaux still rules in our household. Italian reserved for pizza nights and usually Chianti Reserva. Haven't had Brunello/Barollo etc in ages( well maybe a year). Champagne a love but certainly pales in volume by comparison to the other four areas. Rarely if ever drink new world wine anymore. Germany/Austria almost non existent in our house now apart from a rare Gruner Vetliner from Austria. Happy to remain Meer simpletons and love what we love. Bordeaux still reigns the roost in our domain by a long shot.
Danny
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Couldn't see the poll initially as I wasn't logged in. No Spanish tick which is disappointing.
Danny
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

THE POLL ONLY ALLOWS FOR 10 QUESTIONS.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Sub question: if you could only have a poll with 10 regions/categories, which would you include and which would you snub?
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Blanquito wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:48 pm No love for the southern Rhône anymore! Not all that long ago, it was my second favorite region after Bordeaux, up through around 2010 when my palate changed and the region went off the deep end with Cambie and the 07 vintage. I’ve never gone back, kinda sad, I used to love old school Grenache. I wonder if it still exists outside of Pegau, Rayas and a few others. Maybe in gigondas?
I feel like I could have written this. Remember those candy necklaces when we were kids? The super-sweet little disc-shaped candies strung on an elastic band? Modern Châteauneuf infested with over-ripe Grenache tastes just like my memory of those sickly sweet candy necklaces.
Antoine

Post by Antoine »

1 Red Burgundy ahead of
2 Red Bordeaux
then White Burg and Riesling (can't be bothered to count them)
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

I said Red and White Burgundy and Champagne.
However I also like northern Rhones, some Spanish and Italian wines, and a variety of Australian wines.
I have also liked some US Cabs and Blends but never see them much over here and they are very expensive relative to other sources.

As for white wines, the only types I ever drink (other than sweet wines) are Australian (mainly Chardonnay plus a few Rieslings and Semillons) as well as white Burgundy. Maybe I’m getting set in my ways but I couldn’t be bothered with most other white varieties though I like many reds.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Blanquito wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:48 pm No love for the southern Rhône anymore! Not all that long ago, it was my second favorite region after Bordeaux, up through around 2010 when my palate changed and the region went off the deep end with Cambie and the 07 vintage. I’ve never gone back, kinda sad, I used to love old school Grenache. I wonder if it still exists outside of Pegau, Rayas and a few others. Maybe in gigondas?
I still buy/drink plenty of Southern Rhones. Had a Cambie 15.5% bomb a few weeks ago too!

Pretty much anything brought in by Kermit Lynch is good from that area. And although not imported by KLWM, Charvin remains true to the unwooded grenache style, and the wines age well.
jckba

Post by jckba »

I have not bought any new Bdx since the 2016 vintage and thus my % of Bdx purchases this year has been considerably lower than in years past. I have however backfilled and double dipped on Bdx wines I’ve liked and are still available for roughly release pricing while also picking up some older bottlings here and there.

As far as what I have been buying and consequently voted for, I would say Loire (red and white), Piedmont primarily from the 2016 vintage and white burgundy over champagne but it does deserve a special mention.
s*d*r

Post by s*d*r »

#1- White Burgundy
#2 - Champagne
#3 - Brunello
#10000 - Cal Cab
Stu

Je bois donc je suis.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

AKR wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:46 pm
I still buy/drink plenty of Southern Rhones. Had a Cambie 15.5% bomb a few weeks ago too!

Pretty much anything brought in by Kermit Lynch is good from that area. And although not imported by KLWM, Charvin remains true to the unwooded grenache style, and the wines age well.
Ah yes, of course Charvin is still traditional.