chateau Beaumont

William P

chateau Beaumont

Post by William P »

I bought a mag of this 2015 Cru Bourgeois at Costco on an impulse buy. I mean how bad could a $30 something Bordeaux be? I've had Beaumonts in the far past and they were always lean but at least representative of Bordeaux CBs. Well, this may be my last one. I thought is was terrible, beyond terrible. On of our esteem members used the terms grapy glop last week to describe a wine. Well that was a perfect descriptor. It was modern, without Bordeaux character, and seemly unstructured. Hence grapy glop. It didn't improve much the next day. It tightened slightly but still did not impress positively. Down the drain1

Dunnick, Parker, and Suckling all had this wine in the 90s. Ugh.

Happy Holidays.

Bill
JCNorthway

Re: chateau Beaumont

Post by JCNorthway »

Not exactly a ringing endorsement!
stefan

Post by stefan »

Thanks for the warning, Bill. Absent your post I would certainly have bought some if I came across it as, in my experience, Beaumont has been a very reliable Cru Bourgeois.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

I've only had the 2016, which seemed ok to me.
I drink a fair amount of their second wine, Ch. d'Arvigny, because it's available locally for cheap.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Hi Bill

Sorry that you had such a bad experience with the 2015 Beaumont. Patrick, Alex and I drank a half bottle of the 2016 in a restaurant in Cussac in the Medoc a couple of months ago. Lilian Barton was sitting at the next table and she and her entourage were drinking the same wine. We really liked it, even if it was not the last word in complexity, and Lilian confessed to us later that day when we saw her at Mauvasin that she liked it so much that she had one and a half glasses rather than her usual just one over lunch. I pulled my case of 2009 out of storage a few weeks ago and the first bottle was singing and on a par with the 2016. Again quite a simple wine, but not ghastly like your 2015. Maybe your 2015 was improperly stored? It strikes me as a fairly traditional estate producing bona fide claret as opposed to spoofulated monstrosities.
AKR

Post by AKR »

One has to consult the calendar for drinking some estates

I made a mistake with this last week, and a Z-H Gwz came across a touch too flabby, as I did not have that on a Flower Day.
William P

Post by William P »

Comte Flaneur wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:54 pm Hi Bill

Sorry that you had such a bad experience with the 2015 Beaumont. Patrick, Alex and I drank a half bottle of the 2016 in a restaurant in Cussac in the Medoc a couple of months ago. Lilian Barton was sitting at the next table and she and her entourage were drinking the same wine. We really liked it, even if it was not the last word in complexity, and Lilian confessed to us later that day when we saw her at Mauvasin that she liked it so much that she had one and a half glasses rather than her usual just one over lunch. I pulled my case of 2009 out of storage a few weeks ago and the first bottle was singing and on a par with the 2016. Again quite a simple wine, but not ghastly like your 2015. Maybe your 2015 was improperly stored? It strikes me as a fairly traditional estate producing bona fide claret as opposed to spoofulated monstrosities.
Ian, a bad bottle is possible. As with most here, I've drank more than a few Beaumonts without this reaction. Generally while the 2015 vintage was a warm one; I've enjoyed the vintage.

Spoofulated is the correct term for this experience. I'll look for the 2016 and give it a try.

Bill
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Bill
Not tried the 2015 but had the 2014 last year and it wasn’t anything like your description.
More a typical Medoc CB which was quite okay though a bit simple. Yet not at all a modern style of Bordeaux. Still have the rest of the case in storage and I will leave for a few more years.

Can’t say if your bottle was representative but it sounds awful.