Xmas 2021, Days 3 & 4

stefan

Xmas 2021, Days 3 & 4

Post by stefan »

Xmas 2021, Day 3

This being taco Tuesday, we drank no wine. However, stefanJr's Margaritas are enough to keel ya.

Xmas 2021, Day 4

At 6 PM, just in the Nick of time, UPS dropped off the Snow's BBQ that J had ordered. The sous vide was stirring at 160F. J dropped in the frozen brisket and everyone relaxed. I opened the only bottle of CdP we have in Oregon because J loves Southern Rhone wines.

1999 Raymond Usseglio CdP (75% Grenache, 15% Syrah, 10% Mourvedre). The fruit is still there, but mixed with dried hay. The wine is firm in the front and at the sides. "Brambly, with sour cherries, rather than dark and barnyardy", comments J. Lucie adds, "Amazing nose, but I don't get much after it passes the front, and it tastes bitter". stefan 87 J 91 Lucie 86 Irena 89 stefanJr ("I don't rate CdP").

With the BBQ we tried three sauces--Snow, Stubbs, and Evan Williams. We drank a couple of Ridge wines that friends had gifted us. They were new to stefanJr, who is a Ridge wine club member, and to me. However, most of the discussion centered around the sauces. All were deemed good by the group but preferences varied. The brisket itself was great.

2014 Ridge Lytton East Hills (61% Zinfandel, 39% Petite Syrah). "I like the wine", someone blurts out, but J cautions, "it is a bit flat with the BBQ". By itself the East Hills is quite tannic and astringent, but the BBQ tames it. stefanJr agrees, "Yeah; pretty wild by itself". L 90 T 88 s 89 J 87 I 89.

2015 Ridge Lytton Estates House Hill (56% Zinfandel, 44% Petite Syrah). "Goes pretty well with the BBQ", J says approvingly, and stefanJr and I agree. Not as distinctive by itself as the 2014 East Hills, but I like it more for its subtlety. Lucie is a fan, "I love this beautiful wine; it fills your mouth and is great with Snow's sauce". "It is also good with the cheddar", adds T. S 91 L 92 T 91 J 89 I 90.
William P

Re: Xmas 2021, Days 3 & 4

Post by William P »

Great report Bill. Glad the brisket went well. Where does Snow's ship from? A bbq sauce that I recently discovered is Oakland Dust from a joint in of all place Oakland. It is not as sweet as some of the KC style sauces and it has a molasses profile. It's good. Have a Merry Christmas.

The other Bill.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Bill, Snow's BBQ ships from Lexington, I think. That is Lexington, Texas, of course. A 4-5 pound brisket runs $135. Snow's has several times been voted the top BBQ place by Texas Monthly.

Snow's sauce is slightly too sweet for my taste. I prefer Stubbs. Thanks for the tip about Oakland Dust.

Happy Holidays to you and Linda.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Nice report Bill.

I have one question: do you spit Marguaritas, like you do for wine? :-)

Merry Christmas to all you family.
jal

Post by jal »

That's my favorite bbq sauce. Not easy to find. Spicy is our preference.
Attachments
PXL_20211224_015006454.jpg
Best

Jacques
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

An idea: these 15-15.5% alcohol Bordeaux would be good to round off bbq or hot pepper sauces?
stefan

Post by stefan »

I should have spit Margaritas, Nic, but did not. Even ultraspoofalated Bordeaux syrup doesn't work with Texas BBQ, though it is fine with pancakes.

I haven't tried Abrams', Jacques. You can buy it online.
Betthoi

Post by Betthoi »

stefan wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:33 pm Xmas 2021, Day 3

This being taco Tuesday, we drank no wine. However, stefanJr's Margaritas are enough to keel ya.

Xmas 2021, Day 4

At 6 PM, just in the Nick of time, UPS dropped off the Snow's BBQ that J had ordered. The sous vide was stirring at 160F. J dropped in the frozen brisket and everyone relaxed. I opened the only bottle of CdP we have in Oregon because J loves Southern Rhone wines.

1999 Raymond Usseglio CdP (75% Grenache, 15% Syrah, 10% Mourvedre). The fruit is still there, but mixed with dried hay. The wine is firm in the front and at the sides. "Brambly, with sour cherries, rather than dark and barnyardy", comments J. Lucie adds, "Amazing nose, but I don't get much after it passes the front, and it tastes bitter". stefan 87 J 91 Lucie 86 Irena 89 stefanJr ("I don't rate CdP").

With the BBQ we tried three sauces--Snow, Stubbs, and Evan Williams. We drank a couple of Ridge wines that friends had gifted us. They were new to stefanJr, who is a Ridge wine club member, and to me. However, most of the discussion centered around the sauces. All were deemed good by the group but preferences varied. The brisket itself was great.

2014 Ridge Lytton East Hills (61% Zinfandel, 39% Petite Syrah). "I like the wine", someone blurts out, but J cautions, "it is a bit flat with the BBQ". By itself the East Hills is quite tannic and astringent, but the BBQ tames it. stefanJr agrees, "Yeah; pretty wild by itself". L 90 T 88 s 89 J 87 I 89.

2015 Ridge Lytton Estates House Hill (56% Zinfandel, 44% Petite Syrah). "Goes pretty well with the BBQ", J says approvingly, and stefanJr and I agree. Not as distinctive by itself as the 2014 East Hills, but I like it more for its subtlety. Lucie is a fan, "I love this beautiful wine; it fills your mouth and is great with Snow's sauce". "It is also good with the cheddar", adds T. S 91 L 92 T 91 J 89 I 90.
I like your Christmas report, very delicious :) Thanks for telling what wine fits best with BBQ, will try it!