Pomerol night

Nicklasss

Pomerol night

Post by Nicklasss »

Dinner with JeanFred, last one for sometimes as everythings closing tomorrow, not allowed to go to see friends or family, and have to be home from 8pm to 5am, starting tomorrow.

What a shitty time again, and right now, i hate my province, my country, the entire World... but thanks to covid.

But a little light in all that darkness, good company and some wines. More tomorrow.
jal

Re: Pomerol night

Post by jal »

Ugh. Sorry to hear that. Florida is wide open, no one wearing a mask (except for some reason at Whole Foods 🙄), we went to a comedy club yesterday where no one checked vaccine cards and only a handful of people were masked.
But the wine store owner wasn't there yesterday, home sick with Covid, though with very mild symptoms apparently.
Best

Jacques
Claret

Post by Claret »

I just got back from FL and can echo the lack of masks. I hope I did not get sick on this trip which involved 4 planes on the round trip.
Glenn
AKR

Post by AKR »

I just saw that a tiger in a Florida zoo attacked the cage cleaner.

The big cat who snoozes on our sofa sympathizes.
s*d*r

Post by s*d*r »

jal wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:03 pm Florida is wide open, no one wearing a mask (except for some reason at Whole Foods 🙄),
Maybe it’s the west coast. Here in South Florida, almost everyone wears masks indoors everywhere except restaurants . Of course we’re all worried Comrade DeSantis will instruct the cops to arrest us :o .
Stu

Je bois donc je suis.
s*d*r

Post by s*d*r »

AKR wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:09 pm I just saw that a tiger in a Florida zoo attacked the cage cleaner.

He was an employee of a cleaning service who is supposed to clean just bathrooms and common areas.

Who sticks their arm through the bars of a tiger cage just to see what happens?

Just in time for 2021 “Florida Man” of the Year Award. Almost won a Darwin Award too.
Stu

Je bois donc je suis.
jal

Post by jal »

s*d*r wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:35 pm
jal wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:03 pm Florida is wide open, no one wearing a mask (except for some reason at Whole Foods 🙄),
Maybe it’s the west coast. Here in South Florida, almost everyone wears masks indoors everywhere except restaurants . Of course we’re all worried Comrade DeSantis will instruct the cops to arrest us :o .
Good to know Stu, thanks.
Best

Jacques
AKR

Post by AKR »

s*d*r wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:38 pm
AKR wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:09 pm I just saw that a tiger in a Florida zoo attacked the cage cleaner.

He was an employee of a cleaning service who is supposed to clean just bathrooms and common areas.

Just in time for 2021 “Florida Man” of the Year Award. Almost won a Darwin Award too.
Sometimes the cats bait people into petting them, and then attack.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Nic,

Enjoying dinner tonight and Quebec amber alert came in warning everyone about curfew starting tonight and be off the streets by 10pm. Talking about a police state mentality especially on New Years Eve. With the covid numbers rising exponentially why couldn't they wait til tomorrow. Bad news to worse unfortunately and I must say I'm with you about being depressed. Cancelled all of our travel plans through the Fall and winter out of the country for now and we were supposed to visit family in Toronto between Christmas and New Years but...CANCELLED! Not fun but hunkered down with daily 10km hikes or cross country ski outings starting to get me back into shape. Gotta do something until this shit ends up here.

Good luck back in lock down and wishing you and the family a Happy New Year if that's possible. Until better times.
Danny
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Here's what the Quebec Govt is sending out to everyone. Sorry Nic for the restrictions that you have to put up with. This is not right. Sorry but I still don't know how to post a picture/screenshot so created a link.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4o9JA3rwPCaSxfcs6
Last edited by dstgolf on Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Last edited by Racer Chris on Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Chris,

What is offensive is the Govt placing a curfew on its citizens with less than 24hs on New Years Eve no less. Restauranteurs had been planning for scaled down limited attendance parties and purchased planned everything for these usual festivities. All celebrations beyond 10pm forfeited. When police are told to enforce beyond 10pm with such short notice this is a true restriction of ones personal rights and freedoms. Yes covid is getting out of hand but here in the north with people indoors but it seemed reasonable to promote caution for New Years eve and initiate the more rigorous curfew starting Jan 1. I fully understand the govt was trying to gain control of an escalating situation by hopefully preventing super spreaders from gathering during the typical NY eve festivities. What's done is done but Nic and most of my family in Quebec were not happy with the way the Govt has handled this further escalating public tensions over this disease. There is a distinct difference in the was local govts are handling or ignoring the covid issue and I think Quebec has fumbled the ball this time.
Last edited by dstgolf on Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Yes Danny, you're right. Québec government is trying to make us believe they are 3 shots ahead, while in reality they are 3 shots late...

And what is bad is that people like me, double vaccinated, respecting the rules, are penalized because the 10 % non-vaccinated/non respeçting the rules are 70 % of hospitalization cases, stressing our healthcare system, so government find nothing better to do to stop the bleeding...

But i must admit that this Omicron wave is crazy, as to the opposite to before as my friends did not had any cases, i have now 65-75 % of my friends with covid cases in their direct family...

Can you imagine operating a restaurant? Is it crazy. Within approximately a week, they had to operated at 50 % capacity, and now take-out only. How to manage stock, and with many people layed off...

At the moment, i'm just looking for some friends, to go enjoy amgood walk outside, and maybe a good scotch at the same time.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Everyone,

I apologize at offending anyone as that was not the intention. The post on my side has been edited however the quotes unfortunately remain. Sorry again for the inappropriate choice of words.
Danny
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

I suppose you think differently when you know somebody who has died. Particularly when they were vulnerable and and caught it from some unvaccinated a-hole bleating about his rights and his freedom. He had just had his second vaccination, and needed to go out for food. He was careful, isolating as much as possible. And the death is not pretty, gasping for air with every breath, until there is no more gasping and no more breath. He died alone, his family waving at him, but unable to say goodbyes or give him a hug.

So you know I really don’t give a flying F*ck if you think the government is overreaching. Until this is over, any and all protocols that protect us from the selfish bastards who refuse to get vaccinated is ok in my book. In fact, I can think of a few more draconian measures I would like to take, like making them pay their own medical bills.

And yes, I do apologize for my language, but not my fury. I really don’t see a problem with instituting a curfew when people are probably getting drunk and maybe less careful with protocols.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

s*d*r wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:38 pm

Was just thinking this!
marcs

Post by marcs »

Musigny 151 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:15 pm I suppose you think differently when you know somebody who has died. Particularly when they were vulnerable and and caught it from some unvaccinated a-hole bleating about his rights and his freedom. He had just had his second vaccination, and needed to go out for food. He was careful, isolating as much as possible. And the death is not pretty, gasping for air with every breath, until there is no more gasping and no more breath. He died alone, his family waving at him, but unable to say goodbyes or give him a hug.

So you know I really don’t give a flying F*ck if you think the government is overreaching. Until this is over, any and all protocols that protect us from the selfish bastards who refuse to get vaccinated is ok in my book. In fact, I can think of a few more draconian measures I would like to take, like making them pay their own medical bills.

And yes, I do apologize for my language, but not my fury. I really don’t see a problem with instituting a curfew when people are probably getting drunk and maybe less careful with protocols.

Vaccines clearly don’t stop the spread of the virus so I’m puzzled as to why you would blame the “unvaccinated” for your friends tragic situation or have weird fantasies about personal revenge on them. It appears the vaccine did not protect your friend from infection, nor do you know whether he got it from an unvaccinated person.

Government overreach has been massively destructive during this pandemic and has clearly also failed to be effective. It was government rules, not the unvaccinated, that led your friend to be isolated from friends and family as he died.
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

Major thread drift.
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

I had a long reply now lost to the cyber universe. I will simply wonder why you would point to government overreach that mandates that a family is kept safe when somebody is dying from an incredibly contagious disease.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Sorry it turns that way. I'll try to remove my thread, and get back to the original topic.

It is a tough times for all, no way i can believe the opposite, and we're all suffering to very different extend, depending of our own personnal reasons or how people we love are impacted by that virus.

Might this be all over soon.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

marcs wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:02 pm
Musigny 151 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:15 pm I suppose you think differently when you know somebody who has died. Particularly when they were vulnerable and and caught it from some unvaccinated a-hole bleating about his rights and his freedom. He had just had his second vaccination, and needed to go out for food. He was careful, isolating as much as possible. And the death is not pretty, gasping for air with every breath, until there is no more gasping and no more breath. He died alone, his family waving at him, but unable to say goodbyes or give him a hug.

Vaccines clearly don’t stop the spread of the virus so I’m puzzled as to why you would blame the “unvaccinated” for your friends tragic situation or have weird fantasies about personal revenge on them. It appears the vaccine did not protect your friend from infection, nor do you know whether he got it from an unvaccinated person.

Government overreach has been massively destructive during this pandemic and has clearly also failed to be effective. It was government rules, not the unvaccinated, that led your friend to be isolated from friends and family as he died.
Marcus, I’m tired of your attempts to downplay the importance of vaccines. They clearly DO slow the spread of the virus. Significantly. No they don’t stop it 100% but you act as if anything less than 100% effectiveness is equivalent to them being useless. Not only do vaccines slow transmission, even of omicron, they also significantly reduce the risk of death and severe disease requiring hospitalization.

You are smart enough to know better, and we’ve talked about this before. Here’s an excerpt from Redonda Miller's (Johns Hopkins Health System President) daily brief from 12/27:
Our inpatient dashboards continue to show the importance of vaccination in preventing severe disease and hospitalization. During the month of December at JHHS hospitals:
62% of admitted patients were unvaccinated
32% of admitted patients were fully vaccinated
6% of admitted patients were vaccinated and boosted
Most of the boosted inpatients had underlying conditions that increased their risk of serious illness.

For additional perspective, as of 10 a.m. today, there were 293 inpatients at JHHS hospitals and:
63.8% of the total were unvaccinated
73.9% of patients requiring ICU care were unvaccinated
The fact that you continue to spread lies about the effectiveness of vaccines is reprehensible. I hope you don’t spew your nonsense elsewhere where vulnerable people may be harmed by it.

Stick to tasting notes. You’re great at that. You get an F in armchair epidemiology.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

dstgolf wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:04 pm Everyone,

I apologize at offending anyone as that was not the intention. The post on my side has been edited however the quotes unfortunately remain. Sorry again for the inappropriate choice of words.
Thanks Danny, I deleted my reply.

I agree that it sounds like Quebec's curfew was very poorly implemented and likely the wrong way to attempt mitigation. Though I don’t know the details it would seem there would be much less intrusive ways to prevent large indoor gatherings.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

marcs wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:02 pm

Marcus, how can you have any idea how effective masks and vaccines and social distancing would be when nearly 50% of the country has refused every step of the way to comply with their implementation? It’s Fox News logic, just said sotto voce, where they champion everything in their power to fight efforts to control COVID and then when COVID is not controlled they say just what you did, that these efforts don’t work and never would, and instead were just some massive government overreach.

It’s clear governments can create an effectively zero COVID world — just look at China. China’s tactics go way too far and indeed it is a police state, which I am 100% against, but to suggest that we can’t control the virus is just wrong. We could stop it (at a high cost) or slow it (at a small cost), but (the crazy) half of the country never tried to and indeed sabotaged it’s control every step of the way.
Last edited by Blanquito on Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Marc wrote:

"Vaccines clearly don’t stop the spread of the virus".

That is patently false, and I am amazed at how people can fall for, and propagate such fake news.

The virus has killed many thousands of people, including two in my family.

The vaccines have saved many more lives.

Only bloody mindedness, obscurantism, and downright stupidly can account for a belief that vaccines do no good.

Alex R.