Xmas 2021, Day 12

stefan

Xmas 2021, Day 12

Post by stefan »

After an unintended break due to snow, family celebrations resumed at our condo. With cheese before dinner we drank

1985 La Lagune. Irena starts off with a stream of consciousness comment, "firm tannins, super-fabulous, herbal quality, incense". "Smells better than it tastes; demure", opines J. stefanJr also likes it, "Really good; tobacco, leather; good stuff". I detect a hint of TCA and feel that this bottle is not as vibrant as it should be. I hand stefanJr the cork and capsule and ask him to smell the top of the capsule. He agrees that there is TCA but says he did not detect it while drinking the wine. Lucie 89 J 89 sJr 90 stefan 89 Irena 92 T 91.

With baked chicken, broccoli, and smashed potatoes we drank

1996 Ducru-Beaucaillou. "Omigod, this wine is so good", exclaims T. It has a classy classical currents & cassis profile. The tannins are strong but long. Lucie proclaims the Ducru to be "phenomenal". I am thinking the same as stefanJr when he says, "Not the Ducru nose; great wine, though". The wine lacks the Ducru floralness that I love, so I deduct 3 points. J 92 L 92 I 92 sJr92 T 92 s 92.

Everyone wanted more red, so I opened and decanted

xxxxx. Since the bottle was in another room, I decided to have the family play a guessing game. I told them that the wine was from Bordeaux (duh now) and they should try to name the place and vintage. Out of the box Irena yells "right bank", and J agrees. Ignoring the game, Lucie describes the wine, "fennel, licorice, lovely nose". stefanJr is right on with "right bank, 1980s". J chirps in, "I would not say Pomerol", while stefanJr counters with "I would say Pomerol". Lucie correctly observe, "I have had this wine before", and stefanJr asks, "have I drunk this before with you?" I answer, "maybe". stefanJr continues, "does it have 'Gay' in its name?" BINGO! The wine is 1989 La Croix du Gay. S 92 L 91 I 90 J 89 sJr 90.

With orange slices drowned in Grand Marnier some of us drank

2007 Doisy-Vedrine. I have always enjoyed Vedrine, partly because it changes personality from vintage to vintage. T, who has switched to White Roses Single Barrel, smells my glass and says, "motor oil". Indeed, there is a lot mixed in with the sugar in this Rieslingless beverage.
jal

Re: Xmas 2021, Day 12

Post by jal »

stefan wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:20 pm
With baked chicken, broccoli, and smashed potatoes we drank

1996 Ducru-Beaucaillou. "Omigod, this wine is so good", exclaims T. It has a classy classical currents & cassis profile. The tannins are strong but long. Lucie proclaims the Ducru to be "phenomenal". I am thinking the same as stefanJr when he says, "Not the Ducru nose; great wine, though". The wine lacks the Ducru floralness that I love, so I deduct 3 points. J 92 L 92 I 92 sJr92 T 92 s 92.
And twice this year, the whole clan votes and scores unanimously!

Great notes and story, Bill. Happy New Year to you all.
Best

Jacques
stefan

Post by stefan »

Thanks, Jacques; and Happy New Year!
William P

Post by William P »

Thanks for the notes Bill, Happy New Year to you and your family.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Bill,

Nice to see you're still going strong and we've enjoyed reading the notes over thee holidays.

Happy New Years to you and the family. Hoping for better times up north.
Danny
stefan

Post by stefan »

Thanks. Bill and Danny. Best wishes for the coming year.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Best handful vintages of Lagune that I’ve had include (correct) bottles of the 85. Too bad yours was slightly tainted, but it looks like a great tasting and Xmas overall. Bravo.