Angélus also withdraws from St. Emilion classification

AlexR

Angélus also withdraws from St. Emilion classification

Post by AlexR »

What an unholy mess.
This is their press release:

Press release
Saint-Emilion, 5th January 2022

Château Angelus withdraws its candidacy from the next Saint-Emilion classification.

The Saint-Emilion classification has long been a wonderful collective motivational tool, which has enabled the appellation to be promoted in an efficient way.

The stakes within the classification have brought about numerous criticisms and has made it the target of a system of denigration leading to numerous cases of legal recourse. This happened of course in 2006 and then again in 2012 (legal proceedings are still in progress almost ten years on), and we have just learned that two properties have brought emergency legal proceedings against the 2022 classification, which is in the process of being drawn up.

Once a source of progress, the Saint-Emilion classification has become a vehicle for antagonism and instability.

While regretting this deleterious context, Angelus takes note of it and exits the system in withdrawing from the 2022 classification.

Naturally, the recent court decision which, after more than ten years of proceedings, fined Hubert de Boüard on account of his participation in the national wine appellations committee, reinforces us in our choice to withdraw from a process, the viability of which does not seem to us to be assured, and the advantages of which do not make up for the risks of unjust attacks.

Angelus will continue, with humility, to pursue its path in the same search for excellence and will devote itself, more than ever, to its first vocation, to which the de Boüard de Laforest family has been committed for eight generations now: the production of great wines capable of ageing over many years and which reflect their appellation, their terroir and each vintage.

“While the values which we hold dear and the dynamic in which Angelus is currently engaged have led us to deem the current system as unsuited to the challenges of our estate and its appellation, our family’s deep attachment to the region and to the reputation of its wines remains intact. Angelus will continue to actively promote Saint-Emilion and the great growths of Bordeaux on all the continents and in all four corners of the world,” states Stéphanie de Boüard-Rivoal, the President of Angelus.
Musigny 151

Re: Angélus also withdraws from St. Emilion classification

Post by Musigny 151 »

Smart move. No risk of demotion for Bouard 2012 shenanigans and again putting themselves in the same club as Ausone and Cheval.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Thanks for sharing, Alex. We don't really get that kind of "reporting" on this side of the pond.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Spot on Mark. Exactly what I thought when I read the thread title.
Dionysus

Post by Dionysus »

La Gaffelière the latest to leave the classification.

Interesting article on thedrinksbusiness exploring their departure: https://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2022/ ... ification/

Is this classification doomed for failure? In one sense, this is akin to score inflation..."Unless I'm promoted, I am going to launch a legal challenge or leave the classification entirely." Why bother with the 10 year review cycle then?

If the rumours are true however, that La Gaffelière were notified of their impending demotion, they seem to me to be a most unlikely candidate. The assertion that their 2013 vintage was rated more highly than either their 2018 and 2019 is mindboggling :shock:
Conor
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

Now, I would give a thumbs up if they lowered their pricing to pre-elevation status prices....too late now 😞
AKR

Post by AKR »

I had more than a few disappointing vintages of La Gaffeliere from the 90's, and generally I was only buying the better regarded / riper years too.

Between that, and the price hikes, they were put on the No Fly list without a Redress #
Dionysus

Post by Dionysus »

Ya it had a poor spell right through the 90's, and well into the noughties...but if it was going to be demoted, I'd argue it should have happened in 2012, after 2/3 decades of chronic mismanagement / underachievement. Not now when they've clearly being moving in the right direction. And yes, pricing make it less attractive to us, the consumer, but I don't think that would weight negatively on their classification.
Conor
Ambrose

Post by Ambrose »

Surely the classification has past its use by date anyway? In the internet era when anyone with a smart phone can instantly access so much information. Hardly seems worth the effort they go through.
Dionysus

Post by Dionysus »

Ambrose wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:37 am Surely the classification has past its use by date anyway? In the internet era when anyone with a smart phone can instantly access so much information. Hardly seems worth the effort they go through.
Yes it is, just like the 1855 classification.
Conor