A few 2018s while on vacation

William P

A few 2018s while on vacation

Post by William P »

\Just returned from a few weeks in Hawaii and found some interesting Bordeaux at Costco and a local grocery.

The first is the 2018 Lafon Rochet. I found this wine to be a perfect medium. Medium bodied, medium plus tannins and medium minus acidity. The tannins are only slightly gruff as opposed to round, but far from rustic rough.

On the nose it had black fruit, some earth, a little reserved at the start. Opened nicely as the evening went on.

Other than being accessible upon opening this is more old school than new. On the palate was a dark berry, almost pit fruit, earthy, minerality and some mocha. After an hour this tightened and showed strength and precision. Long finish. This is equal to if not better than the 2016, which I really liked. It will age nicely.

92 points plus

Next was the 2018 La Croix Ducru Beaucaillou. This is prototypical St. Julian. A lighter, feminine style but nicely structured, beautiful concentration. A higher pitched wine than the Rochet. Medium body and silky tannins. Also medium plus acidity. Very pretty. On the palate, berries, mushrooms, anise. Medium long finish. A well made wine. If the second is this good, grab a bottle of number one.

91 plus

2018 Meyney. This is a densely concentrated wine but it is not overly extracted. The fruit is well balanced by round tannins and sufficient acidity. On the nose, loam, blackberries and black pit fruit. On the palate berries, earth and some oak. This should be in its prime in seven years. A bargain if you can find it in the mid-30s.

All three of these wines were fantastic but IMO Meyney and Lafon were better values.
stefan

Re: A few 2018s while on vacation

Post by stefan »

Useful comments, Bill.

I hope that the BD does not bar you for using one Suckerism.
Nicklasss

Re: A few 2018s while on vacation

Post by Nicklasss »

Thank you Bill for that enthusiastic report on 3 nice 2018, as i can read.

I will get my 2018 in March, and will open a bottle shortly after receiving them.

When you say that the 2018 Lafon Rochet seems better than the 2016, that is quite as statement!