Hurry up and drink it or wait 30 years: 2018 Lynch Bages

jal

Hurry up and drink it or wait 30 years: 2018 Lynch Bages

Post by jal »

After Ian’s post on the 2018 Lynch, I bought one bottle to try, we had it yesterday in the name of science, it is my first 2018 Bordeaux.

Dark purple color, very floral nose, on the palate very dominant black stone fruit, lots of structure here, much more than in any New World wine, deep fruit and pronounced tannins, the fruit is almost exuberant and ripe but there is plenty of acidity to stand up to the food. The fat fruit makes it drinkable and enjoyable but I notice no earthiness or complexity, pretty obvious since this is so young.
This may develop nicely but bears no resemblance to a 1990 Lynch Bages in 1994, or a 1996 in 2000. I would have mistaken it for something modern if not for that burst of acidity on the finish whereas modern wines for me finish with sweetness.

We finished that bottle, I will score it 94 for now.
Best

Jacques
marcs

Re: Hurry up and drink it or wait 30 years: 2018 Lynch Bages

Post by marcs »

This is a really good note that captures my sense of what is different about the most recent Bordeaux. In some ways recent high end Bordeaux can remind me of Super Tuscans, in that they are polished, not earthy, feel “new”, but still have a lot more acidity and structure than California
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I agree, that’s a great description and the $64k question Jacques. At our age, I’d say waiting 30 years is… aspirational?
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

The tricky question Jal: did you ever rated another 3-4 years old Lynch Bages 94 pts, from the 80's, 90's or 00's?

That 2018 Lynch Bages that you described seems like a "not too bad" Pauillac. Still very young, we understand, but i would consider that an enthusiast review.

I had a bottle of the 2018 Chateau Villegoerge Haut-Médoc this weekend, and i thought it was a very good wine, very young, but all balance and luminous red wine of Bordeaux. Good fruit, spices, black with light austerity character, lot of flesh, good concentration and length and freshness. I'm looking forward tasting another 2018 to see more what that vintage can really mean.
jal

Post by jal »

Nicklasss wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:56 am The tricky question Jal: did you ever rated another 3-4 years old Lynch Bages 94 pts, from the 80's, 90's or 00's?
So yes I did, Nic. But the number is irrelevant. It is objective - as in how good the wine is, not how typical it is.
Nicklasss wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:56 amThat 2018 Lynch Bages that you described seems like a "not too bad" Pauillac. Still very young, we understand, but i would consider that an enthusiast review.
and that's where you and I don't agree, it is not a "not too bad Pauillac", it is an excellent wine that could, as marcs say, have easily been mistaken for a Super Tuscan. But I would have never thought Pauillac or Bordeaux drinking it. Not even young Pauillac or Bordeaux.
DavidG wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:49 am I agree, that’s a great description and the $64k question Jacques. At our age, I’d say waiting 30 years is… aspirational?
The answer to that David, at least in my case, is yes, aspirational. I am not buying more. And I am going to try and drink the few other 2018s I have.
Best

Jacques
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Hum, your answers just generating some more question for me : young red Bordeaux tasting like a SuperToscan (or a Super Second, why not)... but, as a scientist, maybe i should search elsewhere?

Clearly, when i had the 2016 Chateau Clerc Milon not so long ago, it was screaming Pauillac, like the 2015 Chateau Brane-Cantenac was screaming Margaux 2 years ago...

Or maybe it is more simple than I think, and i should smell and taste all my bottles of Bordeaux in the next 5 years? Ok, my apologies, my cheap shot of the day:

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/06/boom ... h-age.html

:lol:
Last edited by Nicklasss on Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Jacques’s description of the 2018 Lynch reminds me of my experience with the 2016 Lynch. An excellent, 94 point wine. But nothing profound, and nothing that screamed out Pauillac terroir, like those Lynches of yore.
jal

Post by jal »

I resemble that remark Nic :D

But if that were the case, i would try to drink fruitier, riper and sweeter wines and I have to tell you that I am not attracted to any of those.

But if you can find screaming Pauillac in a 2016 Clerc Milon, good for you. I will look for a bottle to try.
Best

Jacques
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Thanks for taking one for the team Jacques. Did Jill like it?
jal

Post by jal »

Comte Flaneur wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:35 pm Thanks for taking one for the team Jacques. Did Jill like it?
Ian, yes she loved it! She said it was one of the best red wine she has had in a long time.
Best

Jacques
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

jal wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:42 pm
Comte Flaneur wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:35 pm Thanks for taking one for the team Jacques. Did Jill like it?
Ian, yes she loved it! She said it was one of the best red wine she has had in a long time.
I rest my case m’lud
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ouch, a devastating debate point, should have worked it into my closing argument yesterday!
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Comparing high end Bordeaux to Super Tuscans???!!!

Are my ST's getting better or is Bordeaux going to the dogs?