2000 Lynch Bages

AlexR

2000 Lynch Bages

Post by AlexR »

Sorry for the sketchy notes.

My wife and I were invited out to dinner on Saturday.

The 2010 Opus One was not served blind. This was solid and well-structured, impeccable even. But it lacked elegance. This wine will gain with age, but it will never be in the top category IMHO.

2000 Lynch Bages was another matter. It looked younger than its age, with purplish highlights. The nose was enchanting, with ethereal blackcurrant and great complexity. The wine developed seamlessly on the palate with velvety tannin and a killer long, ever so fresh aftertaste. In short this was a memorable wine.
In keeping with the thread on the '61s, I found this wine to be in its drinking window, if not at its absolute peak. Therefore, if any if you have it, I suggest you do not deny yourself the pleasure of drinking it, seeing as is pretty much as good now as it ever will be.
Toujours In my opinion :-).

Alex R.
JoelD

Re: 2000 Lynch Bages

Post by JoelD »

I've been lucky enough to have this wine twice over the last couple years. Both times with BWEers. I think it is wonderful. So very fresh. I agree that it is completely in it's drinking window, although it will likely develop some complexity over the next 5-15 years.

However I am not sure that it will make the wine more to my liking or not. That remains to be seen. Decent chance it loses that wonderful freshness or starts to fall off with air in bottle like the 95 did recently. Only time will tell but I totally agree that if you have multiple bottles, now is a great time to crack one.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Nice quick report Alex.

I remember tasting a 2000 Chateau Lynch Bages, that Jim offered and opened, and i guess it was in some camping site near Old Orchard Beach.

I think it is the last great Lynch Bages I had, surely better than the 95/96 duo, and the 2 vintages i had post 2000 (03, 11).

At the end, i guess i'm a bit like you Alex regarding red Bordeaux Crus Classés level wines, preferring opening them between 20 and 35 years old.
SF Ed

Post by SF Ed »

I like the 2000 Lynch Bages a lot. I think it has room for improvement, but it is delicious now.

As I've posted before, when the time is right, I have a 3L of 2000 Lynch Bages with BWE's name on it.

SF Ed