2018 Prieure-Lichine

William P

2018 Prieure-Lichine

Post by William P »

The critics seem to be raving about this wine (90-95). I admit, it is a well made wine and if you are into modern, Cali styled Margaux, this is your wine. I read one critic say this is an elegant wine; not for me. This is either a heavy mid-weight or a light heavy weight. It is a full bodied Margaux. You want margaux berries, good luck. The profile is much like a 90% cacoa bar. It is a dark, ripe black pit fruit, very ripe blackberry, some wood and a tad of tar. There is nothing light, fresh, and feminine in this wine. There is a backbone of medium tannin -roundish to start, gravelly to finish. Acid gets lost in the copious fruit. Decent finish. If you looking for light, bright and concentrated, look elsewhere. It will probably age, but with so much weight I don't know if it will improve.

I like the 2016 vintage of P-L but this a little too heavy for my taste. Again, this is well made, it was made for a palate much different to mine. 50% Cabernet Sauvignon, 45% Merlot, 5% Petit Verdot. I paid $40.00. Score 90 pts.

Bill
AKR

Re: 2018 Prieure-Lichine

Post by AKR »

Petit Verdot seems like an unusual guest at the party!

I think some of it these just need some time. I hardly ever like new releases.
William P

Post by William P »

I opened a second bottle just for safe measure. This bottle is not nearly as heavy. Still very dark on the palate, but weightwise this bottle, it's medium. Agree with Arv, this bottle will take some time.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Thanks for taking one for the team twice, Bill, I’m thinking I’m pretty much skipping 2018, it doesn’t sound like my style, and the pricing doesn’t seem very good.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Jesus, I see 2018 Haut Batailley is “on sale” at PJs for $76, down from $87. Is this what we are coming to? Makes my $823 oil tank bill seem like a bargain.

2019 Rauzan Segla is still $84 at MacArthur’s, that seems like a buy to me at this point, at least until the New Hampshire sales.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Jim
I’d grab the Rausan Segla and leave the Haut Batailley at those prices.
Don’t forget that the oil did take endless millions of years to become oil and I suppose for that reason it’s arguably good value.

William
I have several vintages of Prieure Lichine and the first note makes me worry. PL has historically made a more classical style with typical Margaux berry fruit and a considerable amount of tannins. If it has become a more modern style I’m disappointed. Oh well.