TN: Dinner at La Tocque

AKR

TN: Dinner at La Tocque

Post by AKR »

A small group of multi city BWE cadres met at La Tocque in Napa last night. The restaurant has recently won a Michelin star, and its an impressive place, if you can pin down a table. The chef, Ken Frank, spoke with us before dinner for a few minutes which was a nice touch as well. (Gene knows him from other events)
We went with the 5 course tasting menu, which can be set up to be all main courses if you like, which is cool/unusual I would think. I went with scallops in a tamarind sauce, then duck with a tea infusion, then the pork belly, with a veal chop to close. A slice of creamy epoisses was dessert. There were also lots of little bites along the way. Dinner was long -- we arrived at 5:45pm and I didn't get back to my hotel til after 11pm. But that gave us lots of time to drink wine, which included:

88 Haut Brion [Pessac Leognan] Some charry notes, a light touch of acid here, also some cayenne peppery notes. Bricking at the edges. Very nice. A- for me

83 Lynch Bages [Pauillac] Fruity, fresh, good color, starts to show some funk as it opens up -- barn and sneakers. Also some orange oil notes. A- and a bit more generous than the taut 86 we had a while back.

90 Rauzan Segla [Margaux] Red fruited. Caramel nose. Sweet palate. Excellent wine, very balanced, a point. Solid A

00 Figeac [St Emilion] Darkest wine. Sommelier decanted this for us. Still kind of purple. No bricking. Some mint, even oak still. Complex. Cab franc type of style. Oregano. A-

86 Lauraurie Peyraguey [Sauternes] Tropical, pineapples, crisp. It seems to me that for those who like the acidic bite to their dessert wines the only vintages that had that recently were 86, 88, and 01. Have any of these last decade or so had that edge? A-

Between the wines, food, and people this was one of the best tastings I've been to in a long time. The wines showed extremely well, and we were not stricken by TCA, perhaps because we'd all brought back up bottles!

There are a few pictures here, among other unrelated ones.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DqvXc7s1okx12c9d6
DavidG

Re: TN: Dinner at La Tocque

Post by DavidG »

Thanks for the report Arv. 1988 Haut Brion is a favorite, and we’ve enjoyed a few meals at La Toque over the years.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Thanks for posting Arv. Seems like a very nice dinner. My type of dinner, with not too much wines, but all showed at their best.

I've been very convinced by the 1990 Rausan Ségla the 2-3 times I had it. A glorious 1990 full of Margaux fruits.

Nic
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Thanks for posting, Arv. I’ll trying to add my impressions shortly.