What are we drinking in the Omicron ominous?

stefan

Re: What are we drinking post-vaccination?

Post by stefan »

With ribeye, strip steak, asparagus, and baked potato we drank 1996 Pape Clement, 1995 Lagrange, and 1995 Pichon Lalande. The Pape Clement was certainly Grave like but had a rather short finish. The Lagrange was about as one would expect: solid, balanced, but not at the top level for St Julien. The Comtesse was the best of the wines with deep dark fruit with chocolate and leather. Nothing was spectacular, but we had an enjoyable evening while drinking very good mature left bank wines.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Is the 95 PLL at peak would you say, Bill? I have a couple I’ve been waiting on.

The 95 PLL was spectacular at my second ever BWE offline. This was a big Pauillac event in Les Sans Culottes in NYC in the summer of 06, and the 95 PLL was the runaway WOTN. Always had (very) high hopes for it based on that showing.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I remember that dinner Patrick.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Patrick, the PL is in its "plateau of maturity" with tannins at the perfect (for me) place for steak. Blanquito it if you want to drink it with e.g. quail.
AKR

Post by AKR »

The merlot in the 95 Pichon Lalande really saved the wine that year.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

I opened a 2015 Ch. Labegorce tonight. Double decanted.
Nice fruit aroma while decanting.
Some sediment accumulated on the filter (I only insert the filter into the flow near the end) as I carefully poured out the last bit, less a teaspoon or so.
Translucent red in the light, dark and purplish otherwise.
Toasted sourdough dipped in herbed olive oil as a side.
Nice berry fruit profile. Strong tannins.
A little more than an hour after opening, the background starts filling in. A rich lipsmacking quality follows.
Rice, black beans, chicken, cheddar, salsa - in a bowl ,to play against the wine.
Showing a little brambly, with a persistent finish. Not fully balanced yet but has promise.

And it's gone. While I quite enjoyed that, a blanquito is recommended.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Opened a 2000 Talbot to go with a grilled rack of lamb. Both were delicious. I decanted the bottle about 3 hours before dinner, and I think it actually could have benefitted from a longer decant. I've been impressed with how the Talbot has shown itself since I first cracked the case last year. I would say it is still early in its drinking window, in contrast to RP's review which said to drink from 2006-2020. I think it has easily another 10+ years of pleasure to give anyone who owns this wine.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Last night I opened a 2015 Ch. Siran.
Mary had a couple glasses so the bottle was done before we finished eating dinner. Therefore I opened and had a glass of 2015 Ch. Lalande as well.
The two Margaux could use some time but with a bit of air they open up nicely. The St. Julien seems more ready to go.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Had a few of the guys (Mark, Ted, Steve) over yesterday and we had a great night of wines and company on a beautiful summer evening in Denver. While the rest of the West bakes in heat waves and a drought, we have had such an enchanting spring and summer so far in the Front Range, (mostly) cool and wet by Colorado standards with afternoon thundershowers nearly ever day keeping everything super green and lush.

We started with a terrific 2017 Niellon Chassagne-Montrachet Chaumées Clos de la Truffière. Rich with a touch of classy new oak, but wonderfully balanced with effortless length and depth. 94 pts.

The we had two red Bordeaux, the 1978 Domaine de Chevalier and the 1982 Calon Segur. Both showed wonderfully, the DDC with the more expressive bouquet and the Calon (93 pts) wowing with its layered palate. Both reds were great, the Calon surprisingly masculine even in 82, still sporting a rich purple-red hue and plenty of ferric notes but a little quiet on the nose, the DDC (94 pts) showing that classic Graves profile of scorched earth and smoky fruit.

We finished with a fantastic 1967 Guiraud (95 pts), really stunning, Super rich at first laden with treacle but showing a fresher saline with profile with air. Stunning.
jal

Post by jal »

Awesome, Patrick!
Niellon Chaumées de la Truffière is my favorite 1er Cru in Chassagne and this one sounds terrific.
We had the 1982 Calon two months ago on a Zoom with Jim, Jan and Bill and it showed great.
1978 is such a great year in the Medoc, overshadowed by the wines of the 80s but always gives great pleasure.
Best

Jacques
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

The Niellon was brilliant stuff, Jacques, so good that we raised our glasses to toast you and Jill for introducing me to this producer!

I had the 2016 Chaumées de la Truffière last year and it was just as good as the 2017, albeit a bit richer and less racy.

I wish I had the guts to try and mature some of these, because these taste sooo young still. They're just too good young to risk the pox though.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

1974 Heitz Cellar Cabernet Sauvignon Martha's Vineyard.
This, alongside a charcoal grilled T-bone with corn-on-the-cob and homemade rosemary focaccia, was my enticement to make a house call and help (teach) adjust the valves on Karl's 4 cyl 914. Apart from the 50 minute drive home in heavy rain it was a very good time.
The wine was decanted with the steak on the grill as we enjoyed a steady show of ruby-throated hummingbirds at his feeders on the porch. From the first pour the nose was remarkable. The wine unfurled over the next half hour and was a perfect example of the unique MV character. However a glass saved for later, while we buttoned up the car, showed a loss of aromatics on the nose and was a little dull on the palate in comparison to how it started out. Still an awesome experience that I never imagined would come my way.
jal

Post by jal »

Racer Chris wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:40 am 1974 Heitz Cellar Cabernet Sauvignon Martha's Vineyard.
Great note! That wine is a legend.
Best

Jacques
SF Ed

Post by SF Ed »

1974 Heitz Martha's? You are a very lucky man.

I am too. I had a 1986 Gruaud Larose with a dry aged Flannery rib eye last night. Absolutely ready to go. Not too much Cordier funk, the tannins mostly resolved, with a good amount of red fruit and loads of secondaries. A great match.
stefan

Post by stefan »

The 1986 Gruaud Larose we had a few days ago was similar, Ed. Still, I think it was better with steak 5-10 years ago when the fruit was fresher and the tannins a bit firmer.
SF Ed

Post by SF Ed »

stefan wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:23 pm The 1986 Gruaud Larose we had a few days ago was similar, Ed. Still, I think it was better with steak 5-10 years ago when the fruit was fresher and the tannins a bit firmer.
I'd generally agree with that. I'll bring one to DC and we can all evaluate it together :)

SF Ed
AKR

Post by AKR »

Racer Chris wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:40 am 1974 Heitz Cellar Cabernet Sauvignon Martha's Vineyard.
This, alongside a charcoal grilled T-bone with corn-on-the-cob and homemade rosemary focaccia, was my enticement to make a house call and help (teach) adjust the valves on Karl's 4 cyl 914. Apart from the 50 minute drive home in heavy rain it was a very good time.
The wine was decanted with the steak on the grill as we enjoyed a steady show of ruby-throated hummingbirds at his feeders on the porch. From the first pour the nose was remarkable. The wine unfurled over the next half hour and was a perfect example of the unique MV character. However a glass saved for later, while we buttoned up the car, showed a loss of aromatics on the nose and was a little dull on the palate in comparison to how it started out. Still an awesome experience that I never imagined would come my way.
That is one of the most legendary wines of California Cabernet. Pretty awesome you got to experience that!

A lifetime ago, Cabfan poured us some C-block cab from that estate, although I can't remember which year it was, maybe it was 77? 74? It was like toothpaste in its mintiness.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I had the 74 Martha’s a little over 2 years ago, and what a spectacular wine it was!
jal

Post by jal »

With roasted lamb chops and a vegetable tian we opened a young'un 2017 Faury Saint Joseph. Beautiful nose of olives as always, but almost no tannins to speak of. The fruit is lively and the acidity is bright. It will get a lot more complexity with age but quite nice now. 93
Best

Jacques
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

When the '74 Heitz was first poured Karl said he could detect the slightest hint of maderization. It was so subtle it was easily missed behind the heady aromatics.
A little while ago this morning, Karl stopped by my shop and when he opened the door to his truck there was a plastic wrap covered glass in his hand containing a short pour of red wine. It was the remains of the Heitz bottle after running it thru a coffee filter. Now mind you, this was opened Wednesday evening and it's now mid-day Saturday. The nose was certainly leaning toward sherry now, but on the palate was still vibrant cherries, although now with a dose of oxidative fruit as an added layer. If the entire bottle had been that way it would have still been a pleasure to drink.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

jal wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:04 pm With roasted lamb chops and a vegetable tian we opened a young'un 2017 Faury Saint Joseph. Beautiful nose of olives as always, but almost no tannins to speak of. The fruit is lively and the acidity is bright. It will get a lot more complexity with age but quite nice now. 93
Faury is easily the best value in northern Rhone syrah that I know of. It used to be Gonon and Levet was a great value when it was in the $40s (not long ago), but those two are pricey. Faury has held the line and avoided the hype. The 15 and 16 are especially good in my experience.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

2009 Lilian Ladouys

My first time tasting this producer. This was clearly a perfectly stored bottle. Came out very tense with grippy tannins. So I decanted half of it, which definitely helped balance the wine. It's an interesting expression of Bordeaux because I can taste both the high merlot count as well as the fact that it's from St. Estephe. A fairly dark and serious wine, it could use a bit more freshness in my opinion. I think I would wait 3-5 years before opening another bottle. Good QPR bordeaux. I will probably wait a while to try my 2016's.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

1973 Sterling Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve
For the occasion of my brother’s visit, I opened a ‘73 for his birth year. This is really good. Terrific color, wonderful cab scents which harken to both Cali and Claret, that smoothed palate that only old wines get, a terrific core of rounded plummy fruit but with lots of verve and brightness. If one were to quibble, not earth moving (like, say, the 74 Martha’s) being perhaps a touch straight-forward. Overall, utterly delicious and in a great place still, and so much fun to get to experience a museum piece like this. 93-94 pts.
stefan

Post by stefan »

3 winnings I did not expect:
5 1989 La Croix de Gay, Pomerol $290
6 1996 Cantemerle, Haut-Médoc $346
3 1989 Domaine de Eglise $157.50

I now have a reasonable quantity of mature Bordeaux for drinking in Oregon, so I need a new excuse to buy more.

6 2018 Domaine Drouhin Pinot Noir Cuvée Louise @ $110

Probably not worth the price, but by including Louise in my subscription I increase my discount on other wines.
Ianjaig

Post by Ianjaig »

Had a few wines with some friends last night. Of note were the 2015 Château Fonréaud (good QPR) and a 2014 Te Mata Estate Bullnose Syrah, which is probably my favourite NZ wine. We decanted the Bullnose and it was a noticeable level above the other wines - very elegant and northern Rhone like.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

1989 Haut-Marbuzet.
My note posted on Cellartracker:
"I double decanted this on Friday evening and drank it alongside a grilled porkchop with grilled veggies and roasted potatoes. My impression was that the oak was stronger than the fruit. Pleasant enough but not as good as previous bottles, and perhaps somewhat past its peak.
That opinion changed when I drank the last two glasses on Sunday evening after leaving the stoppered bottle in my wine fridge for two days. Drank alongside sausage stuffed crimini mushrooms this was full of life, showing full round tannins, beaucoup red and black fruit with the oak influence totally in balance. A lip-smacking finish put a smile on my face. It was an excellent accompaniment to the food and reminded me that patience is a key ingredient of great Bordeaux."
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Nice. I drank this wine at the restaurant at Chateau Margaux in 2000, I thought it was kind of unforthcoming at the time.
Don't forget, we are able to link tasting notes from cellartracker directly to BWE in the "Publish to other sites" function to the right of your CT tasting notes, we are a pretty big deal.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

JimHow wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:57 am Don't forget, we are able to link tasting notes from cellartracker directly to BWE in the "Publish to other sites" function to the right of your CT tasting notes, we are a pretty big deal.
I've used that when starting a new topic but haven't figured out how to use it for adding a post to an existing thread. :)
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ah yes I haven't been able to figure that out.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Racer Chris wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:15 pm
JimHow wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:57 am Don't forget, we are able to link tasting notes from cellartracker directly to BWE in the "Publish to other sites" function to the right of your CT tasting notes, we are a pretty big deal.
I've used that when starting a new topic but haven't figured out how to use it for adding a post to an existing thread. :)
To state the obvious, I just cut and paste notes from CT into existing threads.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Speaking of copying and pasting from CT. I finally caught up on two months of reviews, but opened this on saturday and I am now happily up to date and will stick to keeping it so.

2005 Clinet-

I have been meaning to try this wine for a while, as it appeared to be approachable. And it was. TOO approachable. In kind of a weird adolescent spot where the fruit was subsiding, the tannins integrated, but no tertiary complexity to be found for a while. Decanted some of it, and got some good tastes and some just thin, boring, lifeless ones. Finally, about 4 hours on the PNP half of the bottle, it came around with some lamb. Gained density, complexity and depth. This wine clearly just needs more time to gain complexity. I would guess 5-10 years should be the sweet spot.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

I just finished a bottle of 2017 Ch. Labégorce. Juicy fruit, mildly tart. A hint of bitterness with smooth tannins and no obvious oak. 13%abv. I doubt there's any upside to holding for 20 years but it's certainly a good cellar defender.
I could buy a case at the Zachy's price, but maybe I'll go for only one or two more at my local Total Wine ($38.25) while they're having a 15% off 8 bottles sale thru July.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Guys
Currently sipping a 2005 Tertre-Daugay St Emilion GCC.
This is the very last bottle of the OWC.
This was a bit better than the last but I do wonder why St Emilions like this are made. It tastes like a Barossa Valley Shiraz with 15% alcohol, Low acid, lots of oak (and cherry, dusty oak) and rich and ripe fruit.
I asked Wendy what she thought entirely blind and she said the alcohol was too high and the oak was too much. It isn’t all bad as there is a lot of fruit and richness but it is too port like, alcoholic and oaky for St Emilion or for that matter, Bordeaux.

My last comment was on 85 and 86 Wines and I am again wondering if the style of wine was just changed forever.
Cheers
Mark
AKR

Post by AKR »

Claudius2 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:12 pm Guys
Currently sipping a 2005 Tertre-Daugay St Emilion GCC.
This is the very last bottle of the OWC.
This was a bit better than the last but I do wonder why St Emilions like this are made. It tastes like a Barossa Valley Shiraz with 15% alcohol, Low acid, lots of oak (and cherry, dusty oak) and rich and ripe fruit.
I asked Wendy what she thought entirely blind and she said the alcohol was too high and the oak was too much. It isn’t all bad as there is a lot of fruit and richness but it is too port like, alcoholic and oaky for St Emilion or for that matter, Bordeaux.

My last comment was on 85 and 86 Wines and I am again wondering if the style of wine was just changed forever.
Cheers
Mark
They actually aren't making Tertre Daugay any more! I think 2010 was last year, and the vineyard is now part of Quintus if I recall.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Had a really great bottle of the 2000 Bel Air Marquis d’Aligre yesterday. Seemingly fully mature, but should hold at this level for 10-15+ years I guess. Reminded me a lot wines from the 80’s, showing earthy/forest floory but with nice balance. Maybe like a more refined Sociando or a La Lagune or Cantemerle from 1985. Resolutely old school, but not really austere. I bought more.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Blanquito wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:23 pm Had a really great bottle of the 2000 Bel Air Marquis d’Aligre yesterday. Seemingly fully mature, but should hold at this level for 10-15+ years I guess. Reminded me a lot wines from the 80’s, showing earthy/forest floory but with nice balance. Maybe like a more refined Sociando or a La Lagune or Cantemerle from 1985. Resolutely old school, but not really austere. I bought more.
Nice note and excellent reference points.

I love BAMA. One of my favorite Bordeaux Chateau.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

OrlandoRobert wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:54 pm
Blanquito wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:23 pm Had a really great bottle of the 2000 Bel Air Marquis d’Aligre yesterday. Seemingly fully mature, but should hold at this level for 10-15+ years I guess. Reminded me a lot wines from the 80’s, showing earthy/forest floory but with nice balance. Maybe like a more refined Sociando or a La Lagune or Cantemerle from 1985. Resolutely old school, but not really austere. I bought more.

Yeah, I liked this more than my note conveys. I thought the bouquet was pretty sensational, very much in a sous bois style. If you like that style as much as I do, this had a 94 pt bouquet I’d say. The palate dropped off a bit, but still excellent and so good with steak. For the $62 it just cost us to reload, hard to imagine a better QPR these days in mature claret (even back vintages of Sociando are like >$70-$75 at this point).
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Blanquito wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:44 pm
OrlandoRobert wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:54 pm

Yeah, I liked this more than my note conveys. I thought the bouquet was pretty sensational, very much in a sous bois style. If you like that style as much as I do, this had a 94 pt bouquet I’d say. The palate dropped off a bit, but still excellent and so good with steak. For the $62 it just cost us to reload, hard to imagine a better QPR these days in mature claret (even back vintages of Sociando are like >$70-$75 at this point).
The pricing we got was ridiculous. Even retail is ridiculous. I will reload again once Patrick’s stock arrives.

I liked my bottle a bit more than you did, but having had many bottles of this estate, you will see some bottle variation. I’ve never had an “off” bottle of 2000, but I cannot say that they drink consistently from bottle to bottle every time. Most of my 2000s were around 94 pts, but I was hotter on the last bottle, was best showing yet.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

2018 Domaine des Capitans, Juliénas.

I like Beaujolais, but this one distributed by Georges Duboeuf is a little bit too oaky, with lot of concentration, that the wine feel heavy. It is good, with concentrated prunes, dark red berries, light oak, but tiring to drink, that is less than acceptable for Gamay. Very correct, but I prefer my Bojo (like my Bordeaux, Bourgogne or Rhône) with more elegance.
hautbrionlover

Post by hautbrionlover »

Last night a 2014 Carbonnieux blanc, which was round, a little smoky and utterly delicious. Then a 2004 Chateau Montelena Estate Cab, which was excellent with boneless rib-eyes on the grill.