2014 Fleur Cardinale

samsonwilliams

2014 Fleur Cardinale

Post by samsonwilliams »

Double decanted and consumed over a couple of hours.

Very dark in color. Nice earthy lifted nose of red fruits, smoke, black pepper and a hint of plum . Palate follows the nose with cherry, plum, spicy black pepper, earth, iron and touch of Cab Franc leafy flavors but no green pepper. Long on the finish, nicely proportioned and framed out by round ripe tannin. Modern but not spoofy and very well made. Still a bit tight on the finish even after the double decant so no rush. Certainly worth the $35 I paid and glad I have a few more. Another nod to the excellent 2014 vintage.
JimHow

Re: 2014 Fleur Cardinale

Post by JimHow »

Thanks for the note SW, and welcome! That does indeed sound very much like a 2014 vintage wine. With the exception of a few, like Pichon Baron, I’ve been finding my 2014s drinking nicely at the ten year mark, with another ten years ahead at least for most of them.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Nice note Samson. Welcome to BWE!
stefan

Post by stefan »

Welcome, Samson. Sounds like a good value play you made on 2014 Fleur Cardinale.

I finally tried some 2014s recently. Haut-Bailly was is already in a good spot even if it will improve. Pichon Baron has great structure but should be blanquitoed once or twice.