Bordeaux 2023 part 1 - Pomerol and Saint-Emilion

greatbxfreak

Bordeaux 2023 part 1 - Pomerol and Saint-Emilion

Post by greatbxfreak »

For those who are interested in reading my take on 2023 vintage and TNs from 50+ Pomerols and 80+ Saint-Emilions - look here:
https://www.greatbordeauxwines.com/vint ... rom-barrel

Please notice that I do all the work on my website, and I don't have helpers/secretaries, etc. to correct things and put the report online. I pay for everything myself on my Bordeaux trip. I am occasionally invited to lunch and stay at some chateaux. My website is free to read for everybody.

I am perfectly aware that there are many wine critics in the world right now, but most of them are relatively young people. With my 40 years of experience traveling to Bordeaux and tasting these beautiful wines, I hope people here will find my report interesting.

I will add pictures later and hope to have my whole report ready in two weeks' time.
JimHow

Re: Bordeaux 2023 part 1 - Pomerol and Saint-Emilion

Post by JimHow »

I've been sick as a bandit this week but when I get over this cold I will read your report.
I've been obsessing about the 2020 vintage lately.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Great start with the right-bankers Izak. Sounds like everyone made good wine despite your comments about less consistency. Unless you haven’t gotten around to posting on the lesser performers. Proce reductions are good news for consumers. I was heartened to see that Angelus continues to maintain some restraint. That was a long-time favorite that got too ripe and oaky for me a while back.

I’ve been out ofthe young Bordeaux game since the 2019s, but I’m looking forward to your left bank impressions.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Yes great start. Looking forward your notes for Left Bank wines…
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

DavidG,

It's easy to only focus on the well-known wines, but we should also appreciate the efforts of those who produce excellent wines in less recognized areas. You can discover some real gems there.

I always try to mention winemakers, changes, etc in my tasting notes to make them more interesting to read.

As wine critics, we all have different tastes, preferences, and personal favorites. However, I believe that a few of the well-known ones may be underestimating the quality of the 2023 vintage. But let it be. I trust my tastes!

I stand 100% by my statement of Right Bank being more consistent that Left Bank in red.