My birthday, including (oh no!) a 2013 Bordeaux

Nicklasss

My birthday, including (oh no!) a 2013 Bordeaux

Post by Nicklasss »

My 50 yo birthday was in January, and i had to cancel my party, as I had an emergency at the job.

I reported it back to last weekend, so had many friends at our place, including JeanFred. The party started at 1 pm, to end up at 1 am… many wines opened and lot of fun.

2022 Domaine Vacheron Sancerre: very good and typical lemon, shell minerals and white berry bushes.Goodbody and a good start.

Laurens Clos des Moiselles Limoux: 2 bottles empty in notime, as lightly fruity, good bubbles, maybe some dry wheat character, and yellow apples. Nice for the price, drink cold.

Taittinger Brut : JeanFred brought that one and it was very good. Probably one of my favorite NV with ripe yellow flesh fruits, light bread crust, light candy powder, good body and length, good bubble. My other favorite NV is Laurent Perrier.

2020 Françis Boulard Mailly Grand Cru : this was a very nice surprise,being complex on the nose ( mineral, fruits, smoke, light red berries) ang lot of poise in mouth. Tasty while restrained, great bubble and lenght. My favorite bubbly that day.

First red was the 2021 Domaine les Garçons Brouilly : 2 bottles drained in no time, a crowd pleaser. Resberry and red berry fruit, with granite minerals. Good core of tannins, long onlight bitter red cherries and purple flowers. I like this Brouilly a lot.

After was a magnum of the 2013 Montrose. My expectations were low as all 2013 taste to now have been deceiving to me. Critics are ok on the Montrose, and Guide des vins Hachette, a tough grader, gave 2 stars among 3…well it was surely the best 2013 i had, very Montrose by it light austere character, but full of black and red fruits, light spicy oak, great ripe tannins, nice flowery anf fruity length, ending with clay minerals. An excellent Saint Estèphe, drinking nicely. If i would rate it, 91-92.

Next was another bottle brought by JeanFred, the 2016 Phelan Segur. JF knows my appreciation of 2016 so a nice attention from him. This a bit more serious than the 2013 Montrose, with lot of dark black fruits, thick soil mineral, blackcurrants, light roasted oak. Month isconcentrated, with some Saint Estèphe austerity and generosity. Graphite, dense blackcurrants ans blackberries, excellent too, just a bit more strict than the 2013. Will be better than the Montrose in 5-7 years, but rating of 91+ for now.

After, i lost a bit track of the next wines, but temember a sip of 2020 Lindes de Remelluri La Bastida that was dense and good.

Great time and sure it was a great 5-0 party, with many good friends important to me.
Last edited by Nicklasss on Mon May 20, 2024 10:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AlexR

Re: My birthday, including (oh no!) a 2013 Bordeaux

Post by AlexR »

The Bordeaux?
jckba

Post by jckba »

Love Vacheron, but I agree with Alex, where art thou Bordeaux?
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I knew the Phelan Segur would be nice, but the real surprise was the Montrose.
Attachments
The mystical « magnum effect »?
The mystical « magnum effect »?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Happy birthday old man.
I’m not surprised by the 2013 Montrose.
They exercised strict selection that year.
I remember Alfred telling us that he was happy with his 2013 Pontet Canet, he just “wished they had more.”
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Better late than never Nic and a great excuse to get friends together. Weather's a little better this weekend than back in January so good call!
Danny
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

A great gang!
Attachments
Precious friends!
Precious friends!
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Belated Happy Birthdayyy, Nicklasss! Did anyone give you shoes? :-)