In honor of Harry: Feb/March is Chateauneuf du Pape month

JimHow

In honor of Harry: Feb/March is Chateauneuf du Pape month

Post by JimHow »

In celebration of Harry's upcoming book, and by the authority vested in me (by myself) as Benevolent Dictator of Bordeaux Wine Enthusiasts, I hereby declare the remainder of February and the month of March as BWE Chateauneuf du Pape month.

Each BWEer shall be required to consume and report on at least one wine from Chateauneuf du Pape.

So it is written. So it shall be done.
HarryKaris

Re: In honor of Harry: Feb/March is Chateauneuf du Pape month

Post by HarryKaris »

Too much honor for me Jim. Thanks for your kind words.
I would love to discus the several different styles of CdP.......the best way is to start drinking them. Besides, temperatures are still low this time of the year..a good excuse opening at least one 'high alcohol level spicy CdP'. But do not forget that especially old white CdP's can be a treat after 10-15 years, sometimes Meursault like and depending if the went through the malolactic, still with a good freshness and spicy flavors and caramel and walnut.....try this with a salad with Balsamic (add a tiny bit of sugar) and roasted goat cheese parts added warm, finish touch put some roasted pine nut.....

CdP-Harry
FrankD

Post by FrankD »

Tomorrow night we're invited to a friend's house. I think they are cooking pork tenderloins wrapped in bacon or prosciutto.

I had been thinking of taking a Brunello or Super Tuscan but maybe I should consider pulling out a Chateauneuf.

Whaddaya think?

F
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Frank: I think you should bring a Chateauneuf du Pape. And at some point in the dinner, maybe during dessert, you should raise your glass to your friends, and toast their friendship, and tell them about this website you participate on, and how you have this friend from Europe named Harry, he's become quite an expert on the region, publishing a book, a man of success, obviously, could easily have been a snob, but instead has a joie de vivre, a generosity, that gives us great inspiration. It'll take sixty seconds, you'll have accomplished your BWE Harry Karis CdP Month obligations, and you will have done your little part, on a cold Saturday night in February in the world community, to spread the word....
Claret

Post by Claret »

Hi Frank, long time no see. I hope all is well.

I have a 1990 Vieux Donjon on deck.

Glenn
Glenn
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

Not exactly the toughest assignment I've ever received. I'll be glad to oblige, the pleasure is mine, as they say. BTW, for anyone in NYC, I saw more of this Roquete '04 CNdP at Garnet today when I was there. This wine is delicious and an excellent example of a certain elegant style of CNdP, and with their current sale, it's less than $25 for cryin' out loud. A beautiful wine.
-Chasse
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

Not as easy as you think. I will not open an 03 Domaine La Milliere for this occasion because I know Harry thinks little of it. I have a few mags of the 03 Cuvee Baron Ch. Fortia but no one to drink them with. I may have to buy something.
FrankD

Post by FrankD »

Hi Glenn, nice to hear from you, hope things are going well.

Jim, I did all that. Actually I knew that one of the guests (Andrew) had told me that Brunello was his favorite wine so it was a little hard to choose a CdP instead. In the end I took both. But when Andrew saw the CdP -- a 1995 Vieux Telegraph he said "I've had that wine, it was one of the best wines I ever tasted, this is fantastic!"

I decanted it, it had a "chemise" or "robe" -- a deposit stuck to the upper part of the bottle. When I first tasted it I said "uh oh" -- it seemed rather thin and weak, like a really old Bordeaux. BUT we let it sit in the glasses (Riedel Syrah) and when the meat was served (bacon crusted pork loin, tender and yummy) the wine tasted amazing. Strong and fragrant, a hint of leather in the bouquet. It's a little hard to write a note but everyone loved the wine and I learned something about wine food matching.

We never got around to the Brunello...

F
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Great job, Frank, and we thank you in the name and cause of BWE! I'm glad the wine performed well. I went out and bought a 2006 Vieux Telegraphe La Crau for consumption later this week as part of CdP Harry Chateauneuf du Pape month.
PappaDoc

Post by PappaDoc »

My contribution to the cause will be the 04 Pegau. I'll follow the "Decree" issued by the "BD" to the letter mon evening, with MammaDoc,Hughdaw my Cousins, and two friends. I'll report on tues.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Well done, PappaDoc, very well done. We look forward to your notes.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

Will do Mon Dictator-I just wish I had more old CNDPs
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Well done Mr. V, welcome back to town.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I bought some 2005 Domaine Grand Veneur. should open one soon.

Nic