A Brace of Latours

Comte Flaneur

A Brace of Latours

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Last night dinner with a former mentee, now a successful portfolio manager, outside at Lurra, a Spanish restaurant in Seymour Place, an interesting enclave, just north of Marble Arch in London’s West End. Said former mentee has the wine bug and was itching to drink one of his recent acquisitions, a bottle of Ch. Latour 1995, so I obliged him by agreeing to bring along a bottle of Ch. Latour 1996.

The last time I drank these two wines side by side was almost exactly 20 years at a four-by-four, 1995-1998, Medoc First Growth tasting less than a mile away on Piccadilly. Both showed considerable promise at the time. I was more curious about the 1995 this time, having tried the 1996 at our Latour dinner three years ago, where it shone after being double decanted that morning, and it was only eclipsed by the mighty 1982.

I decanted the 1996 at 530pm and the 1995 we opened at the table. Both wines had been taken down to 55-60F as it was still quite warm when we sat down. These wines, now in their mid-20s, have very different personalities. The 1996 is bold and assertive while the 1995 was initially shy and retiring in comparison.

While one always tends to describe Latour as masculine, the 1995 I found to be more feminine - well, at least in comparison to the 1996 - and it soon began to unfurl beautifully. It has subtle aromas of black fruits, minerals and graphite and is ever so refined and silky as it caresses the palate.

The 1996 is bigger, bolder, more four square, has more power and density on the mid-palate, a lot more heft overall, while the tannins are big and rumbustious still, but in an exhilarating rather than obtrusive way. Both wines are such a joy to drink but so very different. The experience was undoubtedly enhanced by drinking both wines out of Conterno Sensory glasses...a match made in heaven ;)

I was half expecting the 1995 to be a recalcitrant beast, but it was far from it. It is a wine which is drinking well now and is the epitome of finesse, and is at the beginning of its drinking window. The 1996 is hugely enjoyable too, and can be drunk but will reward patience.

Overall a good showing in these two vintages at a time when Latour has probably not completely on top of its game. The 1996, in particular, is an old fashioned Latour like the 1966. Apparently quite a lot of green matter went into the mix, for better or for worse, which does not happen with modern Latours.

It would have been interesting to have a 2000 at the table because by then Frederic Engerer had begun to ring the changes in his quest to make Latour ‘first among equals’ of the first growths, which many observers feel he has duly achieved. I liked the 1995 and 1996 equally and very happy to own a case of each. For drinking now, I would opt for the 1995. Both wines are 12.5%ABV.

Lurra was a lurra lurra fun, particularly sitting outside on Seymour Place watching all the comings and goings, on a halcyon June evening. The food was terrific, but the service was more leisurely than attentive, and we were charged £56 corkage for the two bottles. Still, it was worth it.
jckba

Re: A Brace of Latours

Post by jckba »

Nice post Ian and it’s always a fun exercise to compare a wine let alone.a first growth across vintages 🔥
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Great read, Ian, and a fun side by side. You know, 96 Left Bank might ultimately be superior to 95 Left Bank (and my experience says it is), but the difference isn’t large if you pick and choose from the best 95s. And the 95s are/were often a better deal at auction than the more inflationary 96s.
Last edited by Blanquito on Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Quite the experience to get to have both of those side by side. I am still trying to figure out whether I prefer 95 or 96 in general. That 95GPL was awesome at the last tasting.

So the glasses are great for Latour it appears, I will have to give that a go. What was your go to Bordeaux glass before, Ian?
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Zalto or Riedel Joel.
AKR

Post by AKR »

This made me think of my first industry mentor, who sadly had the ill luck to be working for Cantor Fitzgerald on the 104th floor of WTC.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Interesting to note that the two were quite different and also that both were “only” 12.5% alc.
Is Latour more alcoholic in recent vintages?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I brought a 1995 Latour to a Stuart dinner a few years back that my mother had given to me as a Christmas present. It was still very youthful but opened up beautifully as the night went along.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Claudius2 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:27 pm Interesting to note that the two were quite different and also that both were “only” 12.5% alc.
Is Latour more alcoholic in recent vintages?
A little bit. My lone bottle of 2000 is 13%, and no doubt no green matter. I suspect that some of the subsequent big vintages like 2005/09/10, might be a bit higher at 13.5%.

It is interesting that Haut-Brion is by far the most alcoholic first growth often weighing in well above 14%, where as Lafite has the lowest; Mouton is the next lowest then Latour and Ch. Margaux is the second highest.

I found this blog post from Christian Seely, written in 2012, helpful in understanding alcohol. No green stuff means a bit higher alcohol, but better wine, more precision. Picking (too) late is a separate issue really.

http://www.christianseely.com/2012/03/2 ... -aromatic/
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Ian
I have some 1995 Haut Brion in a wine fridge - I was going to bring one to Bordeaux last year - and it weighs in at 13%. I have not tried it yet (an auction buy some years ago) which has me wondering if there is an green characters though HB has never showed such characters in my albeit limited experience with it. I have drunk far more vintages of LMHB than HB.
Cheers
Mark
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Mark the 1995 Haut-Brion is a magnificent wine. It was drinking very well in November 2019. It was the star of the show in a strong line up at our 1995 dinner here with Jay Winton.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Ian
If we can eventually make it to Bdx I will definitely bring one.
I was hoping that the 95 was a’ point now.
I will also bring a 2003 Pontet Canet as I simply can’t get my head around it but that is another story.
May even bring a few mystery wine as I like options games.
Cheers
Mark