A trio of Ridge Geyserville

Nicklasss

A trio of Ridge Geyserville

Post by Nicklasss »

Last Saturday, dinner with JeanFred. After a very nice medium rich and creamy 2012 Nicolas Feuillate Champagne, with a nice apple fruit, light bubbles, creamy and limited acidity, JeanFred decide to open 3 vintages of the Ridge Geyserville... and it was a nice moment, each vintage delivering what was expected.

The 2010 was showing a nice complexity, with good oaky side, superbly integrated in the dense red cherries and red berries fruit, with light tobacco. Good mouth, surely the wine with the most elegance, and i understand the vintage was a bit cooler, but made that 2010 Geyserville very enjoyable and drinkable. Probably can hold, but i liked it in that state at the moment. Tn: 91.

The 2016 was intriguing, and changed the most during the night. Strong flowery, pink pepper spice, with those nice concentrated Zinberries and concentrated blackberries on the nose, completed by a light spicy and licorice. Mouth was concentrated, complex, with flavors of fat zinberries, cherries, licorice, kind of kirsch and flowers. Long, dense, finishing on a blue fruit touch, and some peppermint candy, but long, dry, elegance. I think this will be even better in 3-7 years, and could reach the 2013 level. Tn: 92-93.

The 2018 was the youngest, still concentrated and primary, with still a bit of alcohol on the nose, mixed with jammy soapy zinberries, sweet violet fruit and vanilla oak. Concentrated mouth, primary intense fruit, opened a bit more during the evening to add red licorice, dense red abd blackberries, some spice, medium oak and nice fat tannins. Wait that one 4 more years. Tn: 90-91+.

After all those years enjoying zinfandel wines, especially from Ridge Vineyards, i feel they are always excellent, great wine to drink, will please everybody, variation between bottles or vintages are low, but will i ever encounter a Zin i will note above 94-95? Good question mark here...

Thank you JeanFred, it is good to enjoy any wine in your company.
Last edited by Nicklasss on Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
JimHow

Re: A trio of Ridge Geyserville

Post by JimHow »

When I was back in Alaska again in September I had the 2017 Geyserville yet again.
That may be my favorite Geyserville vintage of them all.
StBlGT

Post by StBlGT »

Good notes...thanks! I have the 16, 17, and 18 in the cellar. I'm glad to hear high praise on the 17, Jim. I guess another 3-5 more years should do them good. My uncle has some we might have over the holidays (not sure of the vintage). Definitely can't beat a Ridge Zin!
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Ridge Geyserville has been a reliable performer for me since I first got bit by the wine bug.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Yes, Geyserville is very good in almost every year. We drank the fine 2014 two days ago.

Like you, Nic, I have never had a Zin based wine that I would score 94+. I don't care.
jal

Post by jal »

stefan wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:05 pm Yes, Geyserville is very good in almost every year. We drank the fine 2014 two days ago.

Like you, Nic, I have never had a Zin based wine that I would score 94+. I don't care.
I've been rotating my red wine consumption to old (older than 200) Bordeaux, Burgundy, Northern Rhone Syrah, Nebbiolo and Chianti with an occasional exception. I haven't had a Ridge in years.

Do you guys find a significant difference between one vintage and another? Just curious.
Best

Jacques
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Not really, they seem to be consistently excellent in that 91-92 point range, although the 2017 seems like a notch above to me. Like Stefan said, I’m fine with the fact that they don’t rate 94+. Geyserville provides a sweet spot for me, and I like to drink them young.
stefan

Post by stefan »

I like Ridge young, medium, and old. OTOH, I generally do not like Bordeaux young and medium aged Bordeaux often puts me off as well. Although there are some differences in Geyserville from year to year, qualitatively they are very close, as Jim notes.
jal

Post by jal »

So basically, and that was why I really asked, is there any point in buying in quantity and storing or is it more reasonable to just buy a couple of bottles when you feel like drinking a Ridge?
Best

Jacques
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

My main source of Geyserville is NH. They usually sell it out not immediately but fairly quickly. There are 14 left in one of the Nashua stores right now, I’ve got an email in to them to confirm. They’ve got it listed as the 2017 but I have a feeling it’s the 2018. That store is not good at responding to me but if they have it in stock I’ll probably take a spin down there after I’m done with court here in Portland this afternoon and pick up a dozen. I’ll bring one to Thanksgiving dinner next week along with a Niellon white Burg and probably a red Burg.
stefan

Post by stefan »

It is hard to buy older ones, so it is good to buy enough young to have some when they age, IF storage space is not a problem. Also, zin is tough enough that I don't worry much about the temperature. Mine are often at 68F. I generally drink up my Ridge before they are 20 years old--when I said "old" I meant "old for a zin". Having said that, I should add that I have bought much older Ridge zins at auctions, some of which were very good even if quite different from 20 year old ones.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Another big fan here of Ridge and especially Geyserville. I concur with everything Bill says: young, medium and old, these are terrific. But while Geyserville is pretty much vintage-proof, I do like some vintages more than others. The '01 and '02 were/are extra special, maybe getting to that 93pt level for me, and the '91 and '92 before that. Of the more recent vintages, I seriously dig the '07 (which is only 58% zinfandel, with 22% carignane, 18% petit verdot and 2% mataro, and the unusually high use of "secondary" grapes really shows up in the wine's profile) and the '09, and the '13 is one their all-time bests.

And I see my holdings of Geyserville are dwindling! Here's what I am holding against the onset of the zombie apocalypse:
2018 - 5
2016 - 3
2014 - 3
2013 - 7
2012 - 4
2009 - 12
2007 - 4
2002 -2
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Just heard back from NH, they have the 2019 in stock.
Has anyone heard about that vintage?
s*d*r

Post by s*d*r »

jal wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:40 pm
I've been rotating my red wine consumption to old (older than 200) Bordeaux . . .
Wow, even François doesn’t drink ‘em that old.
Stu

Je bois donc je suis.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

jal wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:29 pm So basically, and that was why I really asked, is there any point in buying in quantity and storing or is it more reasonable to just buy a couple of bottles when you feel like drinking a Ridge?
I used to cellar them. I’ve switched to a just-in-time inventory.
jal

Post by jal »

s*d*r wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:23 pm
jal wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:40 pm
I've been rotating my red wine consumption to old (older than 200) Bordeaux . . .
Wow, even François doesn’t drink ‘em that old.
:D :D
Best

Jacques
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

My favorite vintages have been 2001, 2013 and 2015.

I think my favorite has been the 2013!
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

Based on my consumption over the years, a few years of aging can be beneficial IMO.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I just bought six bottles of the 2019, hopefully I can get them delivered by Thanksgiving to give one a try over the holiday.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

I usually get the splits of Geyserville instead of regulars. Early drinkability, easy to fly solo, and a good weekend quaffer. The splits are perfect for me, to have a good bottle when I feel like, without opening a not needed regular bottle of a more expensive bordeaux.

My favorite is 13, followed by 12 and 14. I had 18 when it was released, but preferred 13 way better than the 18...And I would rate 16 over 18 for my palate...Never had 07 or 09...